OK...it can all stop now, I surrender, I swear I do (my week plus)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cetawin, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay...here is the rant an update but basically...it can stop now!

This past week plus has been one of those periods that you just wished never happened or that it would at least slow down!

First, Cheyenne aka DD, has been sick, fine, sick, fine, sick, fine and etc. So, there have been trips to the doctor, antibiotics, trip to the doctor, more prescriptions and well...you know the cycle. End result...a nasty cold which she is hopefully, nearly over.

I have been fortunate enough to not catch the silly thing [​IMG]

Having the new puppy, it has been running back and forth outside because puppies have the bladder capacity of a thimble. LOL

I have been integrating my two flocks into one space which has had its own "moments". They have been in the coop together since October-ish but have a chicken wire wall separating them. So, these well defined boundaries have been opened up and the tussles commenced.

For starters, one group (the youngest) has a rooster in it, the older girls hate him. He immediately tried being "the Rooster" with them and ended up getting his tail feathers spanked. Those girls (Biggie Girls) have no desire or need for him...a fact they made quite clear by beating into him. [​IMG] I sat him down and tried to explain that he has 19 girls of his own and it was best to leave THOSE 10 alone...but he does not listen.

So...that has all pretty well worked itself out with very little feathers lost or blood appearing. However, he has been unsuccessful in convincing the biggie girls that he is a good guy so he just stays clear of them.

Then the usual...puppy meets raccoon outside the coop, raccoon totally freaks out and takes off to run and runs smack dab into a 55 gal drum...I mean turned, bolted and splat. It took him several minutes to recover and I am sure he left with a major headache and a dislike for the thought (much less taste) of chicken. I admit...I was laughing so hard, trying to hold Casca but wanting to just howl with laughter that I had to sit down. [​IMG]

Then the scarey part. Someone (probably DH or Roomie) left the large garage door partially open...(about a 2 foot tall opening all the way across it) and that is where I store the straw, food and scratch for the chickens. I go walking into the garage at one OMG It Is Early hours (5:30 ish) to find a visitor in my garage. I entered through the human door on the side of the garage, closest to the house, fumbled with the light switch a few seconds, waited for the lights to kick on and hear this horrid noise as I close the door.

The noise was one I have heard before but never that close and never that angry. It was enough to make heart pound and climb into my throat. I do not normally walk into my garage armed but I should have that morning. Backed into the corner not more than 30 feet from me is a very unhappy mountain lion [​IMG]

I literally froze where I was, hand on the light switch other hand on the door knob and started to try to gently open the door when this thing barked/yelled so loudly it echoed across the whole property...my neighbor 4 acres away heard it inside her house. This lion had several bloody spots on her and was clearly in pain and frightened...no more than I was of course.

My mind began thinking...what do I do? she can catch me before I get out the door...even hurt. I am not armed. DH is still sleeping and will not hear me yelling for him. blah blah blah. Then I remembered...my husband had one of two way radios we use for hunting on a charger in the garage...on a shelf about 5 feet from me.

So, I slowly moved toward the shelf and she is watching me extremely weary and cautiously...I reach the radio and pray that DH still has the other one in the bedroom...not in the livingroom or somewhere and I key the thing...and say in a whisper...

"Honey...wake your ATT UP....I am in the garage with a mountain lion."

"Honey....WAKE UP (a little louder and more frantic)"

"Honey...OH HELLO (a little louder) mountain lion....garage....me please"

she starts slowling coming out of the corner she is backed into and I keyed the radio and snarled a bit loudly....

"BILL GET YOUR ATT UP NOW BEFORE YOU ARE WIDOWED...WAKE UP NOW!"

He responds in a sleepy voice..."Why are you yelling at me?" my response came very sarcastically yet quickly....

"Because there is a mountain lion with me trapped in the garage and it is about to eat me and guess what....I dropped my life insurance policy so I am worth more alive this week...MOVE YOUR ATT!" [​IMG]

He bolted through door, armed, stark naked and shot her. He looks at me and says "You cancelled your life insurance policy?"

I said "NO you jerk but it made you move your butt didn't it?"

So, apparently ms. mountain lion has gotten into with another lion or several dogs. The wounds looked canine to me and DH but we are not experts. She wandered into the garage and was laying on the straw licking her wounds when I walked into the garage. From the looks of the wounds, she would have eventually healed up if she did not die from an infection...they were deep puncture type wounds and one really large flap type wound. Poor girl but it cannot be helped. We took the body to the rangers and they will do whatever they do with them.

So...in between all that excitement, I have been beading and beading on Suede. His face was done and re-done and re-done several times, and I finally was happy with it and now have moved onto the dark blues on the neck and such. I will post updated pictures later today or tomorrow.

So, alive and well here and back to a normal routine...I hope!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    OMG!! [​IMG]

Glad you are ok.

(good thinking with the life insurance policy [​IMG] )

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Tell me you took a pic of the mountain lion.
    am i glad the most dangerous thing aroud here are city- deer. I am happy to hear you are okay.

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Glad to hear you are ok.

can i faint now? [​IMG]

me,
    g

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Oh. Wow.
    So glad you are okay. That story could've ended so much worse.
    Wow.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

I garbbed a snake in a grain barrel without seeing it first one time. But, it was a garter snake....... So, I wasn't hurt. Although I did nearly pee my pants [​IMG]

But, a mountain lion ! Now, that's another story [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Mountain lions worry me. I carry a tag for one and a .44 magnum when I hunt because a friend of mine was jumped by one while we were hunting a few years ago. I'm glad everyone was ok.

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Okay! You win the award for most frightnening and horrid week, morning, day whatever you want, just dont send any mountain lions this way please. I am soo glad to hear no one was hurt (that is other than the lion). Whew!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would have passed out. End of Debi. You handled yourself very well. [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can't decide between passing out or hurting myself laughing!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I admire a woman who thinks fast!

Apparently I am mostly laughing, tears are streaming........ CAN'T wait for DH to see this!!!!

(remember, a sense of humor is your best survival instinct!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by