OK, it's official, Coturnix ARE as tame, at least, as chickens!

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I PROMISE I won't bore you all with this again -- I know I keep posting about this same topic. But, these little guys amaze me.

I had kind of a crummy day today
sad.png
-- so, I got home this afternoon and went out to take care of the birds.

I needed to clean out the quail run, put down fresh straw, daily feed and water, of course, refill the sandbox, and give them some nice, freshly dried spray millet.

They are really getting friendly. They now come running to see me when I open the door, to see what I am bringing to them, and I've now got many of them eating from my hand. I've been using mealworms as bribes, and they love them. Now, a lot of them will also eat gamebird crumble from my hand.

I am even allowed to assist several with their dust/sand baths -- a few of them now will let me slowly pour sand over their backs while they roll and around and fluff their feathers. And, I can pretty much walk around in the pen with them and just reach down and pick them up -- some of them try to squirm away a bit, but not very fast as if in terror. When I pick one up, I just talk to it, then put it gently down. Hopefully they will all come to realize I'm harmless.

I also really enjoy the crowing noise they make. I don't find it very loud, and to me, it sounds a lot like a chirping cricket.

I'm really glad I've got them -- fun little birdies! They made me feel better, really.
smile.png

Well, I think its cool.
cool.png
They will do anything for a fresh dustbath though, won't they.

I gave mine all fresh sand tonight and after they played for awhile they each gave me an egg tonight. (They had been holding out a little for goodies and fresh baths, not just refills). Well, except for the 6 week olds, (they don't know whats going on yet), but that is to be expected.

They see me filling a new dustbath and I get
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
All over the place. They know what's coming, I swear they do.

I have to admit, I didn't expect to enjoy them as much as I do.

I really want some Coturnix quail, everybody keeps bragging on them ... sadly I doubt my mother would let me get into breeding Coturnix quail AND Buttons ... Guess I'll stick w/ the Buttons!
sad.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I really want some Coturnix quail, everybody keeps bragging on them ... sadly I doubt my mother would let me get into breeding Coturnix quail AND Buttons ... Guess I'll stick w/ the Buttons!
sad.png

Yes coturnix are lovely creatures!
Would it be possible for a committed coturnix raiser to give advice on coturnix without an 800000 poster (without any practical experience) running rough shod over people that have actually raised a few thousand of the little critters?

Your BOOK WORK is spot on, but giving advice on birds that your mother won't let you raise is inconceivable to me. I know that making a child cry is is the death nail here, but please wait until you have hatched/brooded and grown out a species of quail, before you hand out advice to others.​

I can't wait for my eggs to get here today. geez then I need to wait to let them settle, then I have to wait for them to hatch, then I have to wait for them to grow up
th.gif
he.gif
notice I'm so impatient.

Quote:
Would it be possible for a committed coturnix raiser to give advice on coturnix without an 800000 poster (without any practical experience) running rough shod over people that have actually raised a few thousand of the little critters?

Your BOOK WORK is spot on, but giving advice on birds that your mother won't let you raise is inconceivable to me. I know that making a child cry is is the death nail here, but please wait until you have hatched/brooded and grown out a species of quail, before you hand out advice to others.

Bitter Much ????????

Quote:

Your BOOK WORK is spot on, but giving advice on birds that your mother won't let you raise is inconceivable to me. I know that making a child cry is is the death nail here, but please wait until you have hatched/brooded and grown out a species of quail, before you hand out advice to others.

Bitter Much ????????

I knew joe was going to get a lot of flack for his comment, and I see where he is coming from, to be honest books aren't always 100% accurate, and its easier listening to someone with experience rather then someone quoting from a book or repeating what they think someone else said

Back
Top Bottom