1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK ive gone Nuts How do i keep this many chickens. Help me sort this

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leoismydog, Jan 20, 2011.

1. leoismydog

leoismydog Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Well i was just placing an order for chicks from one of the hatcheris and i suddenly realise i have 54 chicks ready to hit submit on. Now i figuring out where they will all go, am i going to mix some, why did i order 2 males of those, I got barred rocks again, oh those are cool looking get so of them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

So i currently have
    1 perminate coop with 3 remainders from the fox tradigy, 2 hens SPW, & SLW and 1 cock This is the main laying coop i guess you would call it. Guess add the wy

One tractor 5 BlackCM hens 2 BlackCM Cock And 1 BlueCM cocks, would like to seperate blue BCM cock out to get pure eggs for selling ( cant go to freezer camp as wife likes that one). So this one is unavailable for additions.

Tractor #2 5 silkies, will the leg horns mix with the silkies there smaller????

Tractor #3 EE only 4 hens lost the male receintly have last eggs in the bator as he was really cool looking, adding EE's to these,

Tractor #4 material bought just have to put together.

What im buying I Think
    My Thoughts on placement
    6 GOWP GOLDEN WYANDOTTE Females $4.79 $28.74 Egg Coop
    2 GOWC GOLDEN WYANDOTTE Males $2.60 $5.20 Egg Coop
    6 SILP SILVER LEGHORN Females $3.48 $20.88 silkies or New coop
    2 SILC SILVER LEGHORN Males $1.98 $3.96 Same
    6 BRWS BLUE LACED WYANDOTTE St. Run $3.99 $23.94 Egg Coop
    6 SLWP SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE Females $2.78 $16.68 Egg Coop
    2 ARAC ARAUCANA Males $1.93 $3.86 EE Tractor
    6 ARAP ARAUCANA Females $3.28 $19.68 EE Tractor
    6 PEAP PEARL-WHITE LEGHORN Females $2.42 $14.52 With other leghorns Silkies or new coop
    6 RIRP RHODE ISLAND RED Females $2.53 $15.18 Egg Coop
    6 BARP BARRED ROCK Females $2.53 $15.18 Egg Coop

Problem is thats like 32 in the egg coop coop is 4 x 8 and run is 10x24 so i think to small I need a bigger coop or a smaller list.
    I could drop the RIR and the BR and Be OK with it so what do you all think, Go get more material???? or drop down on the order. I hate to build another tractor as it hell on anyone to take care of everything if we ever leave. Add to that 3 dogs, a goat and 2 ducks, a pond, Oh and there will be 30 guineas free roaming also along with the turkeys that will be ordered soon.

OK have at it and who need a part time job helping me:lol:[​IMG]

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I wrote a post today titled, "Chicken Obsessed- Vaccination Question". Take a look! A long story short the good people on BYC were explaining to me what "chicken math" was. I am looking at your list and am definitely reminded of my own chicken math. [​IMG] I actually cancelled my order to Meyers hatchery b/c I decided to take the easy way out of chicken math. That would be to singles from my feed store. I just spoke with my feed store guy and he promised he would have some rare birds in. I just couldn't see myself buying a min. of 5 per breed I would well... have 54 birds! Good luck! You can always buy more later, but then again, spring hatching is only 3 months. You should have fun!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I inherited 30 birds. Now I'm addicted and growing my first set of chicks. I've gone from 30 birds, to nearly 40! [​IMG]

And I still want more! [​IMG]

I should go look at the chicken math....

4. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    You sound like me [​IMG] I have 5 Delawares,4 buff Orps,and 3 Barred rocks right now.I took my time and found the breeds that were right for me, good for both eggs and meat.Now I want Cochins ,D'Uccles,and silkies for fun [​IMG] I keep looking at Mcmurry and Meyer but you have to order 25.I think I will wait to see what comes into Tractor Supply ,also the feed store will have some this spring.I have been studying videos on you tube so I can ID the chicks better since I am new at this...Also I want to find a swap around Virgina or maybe check out the state fair this year.
    Does anybody know when Tractor Supply gets their babies ?
    I thought maybe 4 of each BUT I don't know if I can stick to it .I want to build my flock slow so that I can at least get an idea of how many I can handle without being overwhelmed from the get go.
    I also want to hatch eggs this spring.

5. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    MyPetchicken.com is great for small orders. A little pricey on the shipping because of the extra care to keep em warm, but you don't get more birds than you want.

I understand chicken math Bery Bery well. I have 54 with 100 more scheduled to arrive in 10 days. What was I thinking?!!!! [​IMG]

6. leoismydog

May 30, 2008
    Yes i understand chicken math I just dont want more tractors, I Have this Idea on a 20x20 Coop with 4 seperate sections for the "breeders and the the rest of the yard and all the other Housing for the free rangers.

7. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Wow you think that's bad. A year ago I had 3 old hens in a giant coop and 3 geese. They were my dads and when I moved in here to my grandmas old place I said sometime we will have lots of chickens (think 10-15) like we had when I was little. So last spring I got 6 chicks from the feed store, 3 free off Craigslist, 2 from a persistent broody who I had to get eggs for, 2 cochins at the fair, then a rescue bantam polish, then 3 pullets someone couldn't keep. Then I built an incubator. That was the biggest mistake along with joining the egg swap each month since I finished the Bator. I am afraid to add it up but subtract 5 that went to freezer camp. 14+17+7=38 oh man I knew I didn't want to do that. And don't forget the 3 geese who equal a pain. And there is another 18 eggs in the incubator. More eggs on the way from the January swap and a brand new brinsea to arrive on Monday. I still want to get some bantam ducks, turkeys, and guineas. More cochins and jersey giants as that's what I want to breed. If you subtract the little roos I won't have as many as long as I don't become attached. Can't wait until spring so they start free ranging again. They don't like the snow.

8. leoismydog

May 30, 2008
    Well I just did it 50 new fuzzy but comming 1 st week april. [​IMG]

9. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    We have 18 chickens now. I have 25 chicks coming the second week in Feb, and just called my local feed store who are getting their first shipment of chicks mid-march. We don't have the space yet, but I'm planning on getting another 25 or so for meat and profit. So... yeah, I've gone nuts too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by