Ok, kind of scared to ask..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cynthia12, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    This is my bantam/frizzle..please tell me she is looking like a pullet at 12 weeks...will post pictures separate..not compute[​IMG]r savy..can't be too hard I'm sure!

2. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    She looks like a pullet to me.

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Its a pullet...but I can't see anything "frizzle" about her....are you sure its not a cochin or some other feather legged breed?? Frizzles, if they are a frizzle...you can tell right away by how their feathers curl outwards, and since she is all feathered out with smooth feathers...

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:She is a hatch from frizzled eggs..they don't all come out frizzle, but she carries the frizzle gene. I had some frizzle in with the hatch..pretty cute, but the one I kept turned out to be a roo. Crazy frizzle going on, too cute. Was worried that this one was starting to look a little too red for now.
    I'm loving all the positive pullet comments... [​IMG] I hear that cochins are good to go broody? I want one that will lay on some eggs for me, will have to get some fertile ones for her, but I would really like to experience the mama hen and baby chicks running around.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Our bantam cochins are our very best broodies. The two older hens have gone broody every single year; the two younger ones are being very coy about it this year (not broody yet? what are you waiting for, girls?). Also, our cochins have been the most dedicated mothers. Some of our other broodies (especially the d'Uccles) have a crazy streak that makes them attack new chicks that are colored differently from the others in the clutch. The cochins wouldn't dream of it. I can put a mixed bag of eggs under a cochin and know that she will hatch them and adore them all equally no matter how different they may look. [​IMG]

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I wanna guess pullet as the comb is small and not much there for wattles.

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Pretty little hen, and no she is not a frizzle and doesn't carry the gene either(if she did she would have frizzle feathers, they only need 1 copy to outwardly show it).

I am guessing if both parents were frizzled that both only carry one gene each since you got both frizzled(either one or two friz genes) and smooth offspring(no friz gene) out of them. The odd chick with a double dose of the frizzle gene will be extremely curly with very brittle feathers(have seen them labeled either curlies or baldies since the feathers are so extremely curled and brittle they break off with regular use)

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Boy do I know the frizzle look. Here is a picture of one my LF frizzle..don't have one of the bantam..that is a brother to this black girl. It is a red, and it is even more frizzle than this white one! They are funny. People either like the look, or I get, what is that?! [​IMG] Oh, and I was told that you have to breed a smooth to a frizzle so as not to get bald areas on your frizzle? :[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pullet.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pullet. And yes, cochins are pretty good broody hens, I have one raising six ee chicks now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by