1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok need adivce and help , im not losing these eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    i keep lossing eggs like on day 18 or so , are they drawning,and what are symtoms of drawning .... can you tell if they drowned when you crack the egg open, and i put all the rest of my eggs in catons , whats you xperience , im on day 18

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    What is the humidity percent at? Any time the humidity goes above 65%, you stand a good chance the chicks well drown. You have to remember the humidity goes up as the chicks hatch. Any lower the drowning effect is almost zero.

3. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'd say the same thing as panner123. Check your humidity level. If you keep losing them to drowning, I'd say your humidity is way too high. As for how you can tell... that's very tough. I don't know that you could 100% say a DOA chick had drowned. There's just no way to tell if it had some form of internal deformity or if it drowned. But, I would hazard a guess to say that if you are repeatedly getting chicks from various parents that look completely formed and ready to hatch, but just never did, then perhaps they did drown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by