Ok - new problem ... duck won't get along with chicks ...

JulieinPA

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
So - I posted another thread about our new duckling "Peek a Boo" that we picked up today. We had a little issue with Peek a Boo getting cold, etc. But anyway .. now we have a new issue. Well, not sure I'd consider it that much of an issue, but still ...

So we have 6 peeps that we just got two days ago. They're in a "heat box" (that my lovely husband made for me years ago) under a heat lamp. Since everyone said that ducks are social ... we put Peek a Boo in with the peeps tonight. Peek a Boo is 5 weeks old. The peeps are just little. So Peek a Boo is a good bit bigger than them. Anyway - Peekaboo kept "pecking" at them and even making them squak. Peek a Boo appeared to be not just socializing and adjusting, but actually seemed somewhat aggressive and like "the big boss" with the chicks. To the point that I was scared she/he would hurt the chicks so I had to take him out.
We did pick up two more ducklings to be his buddies, and we thought we could put them all in together. And the two ducklings are just young, so they need to be under a heat lamp - so they're in with the chicks and getting along just fine with the chicks. But Peek a Boo won't get along with any of them. He just grabs at them - wether it's chicks or the ducklings. And chases them. And acts all bossy. So like I said - we took him out and now he/she is by himself/herself. Peek a Boo was the only duckling at his/her previous home ... so is he/she just used to be alone??

So is any of this normal? Will they ever be able to be together??

So - I posted another thread about our new duckling "Peek a Boo" that we picked up today. We had a little issue with Peek a Boo getting cold, etc. But anyway .. now we have a new issue. Well, not sure I'd consider it that much of an issue, but still ...

So we have 6 peeps that we just got two days ago. They're in a "heat box" (that my lovely husband made for me years ago) under a heat lamp. Since everyone said that ducks are social ... we put Peek a Boo in with the peeps tonight. Peek a Boo is 5 weeks old. The peeps are just little. So Peek a Boo is a good bit bigger than them. Anyway - Peekaboo kept "pecking" at them and even making them squak. Peek a Boo appeared to be not just socializing and adjusting, but actually seemed somewhat aggressive and like "the big boss" with the chicks. To the point that I was scared she/he would hurt the chicks so I had to take him out.
We did pick up two more ducklings to be his buddies, and we thought we could put them all in together. And the two ducklings are just young, so they need to be under a heat lamp - so they're in with the chicks and getting along just fine with the chicks. But Peek a Boo won't get along with any of them. He just grabs at them - wether it's chicks or the ducklings. And chases them. And acts all bossy. So like I said - we took him out and now he/she is by himself/herself. Peek a Boo was the only duckling at his/her previous home ... so is he/she just used to be alone??

So is any of this normal? Will they ever be able to be together??
Yes they will be able to be together but it takes time, can you divide the heat box so peek can still be with everyone but not able to peck at them? maybe some hardware cloth or plastic chicken fencing,just make sure what ever you use it doesn't have anything sharp or sticking out that the babies could poke themselves on, Peek will want to be with everyone but being so much older and larger he can throw his weight around. but he'll be looked upon by the others as their leader eventually. Maybe you can find something where at times when you can supervise where they can have sometime together. especially the ducks, maybe snack time? dried meal worms work really well for times like these.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom