ok newbie with lots of questions....

supermommy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
central ny
Some may be silly, but I really dont have the slightest clue what I am doing. Learning as I go along!

How will I know when my hen's are ready to start laying?

Should I make any changes to feed/other things?

How do I know if they are edible or hatchable? (meaning If I leave them in there will they hatch, or if I take them will they be edible and not have baby chicks?)

I should check for eggs daily right?

How long after they do the deed should I expect eggs?

Ok thats all for right now but I would appreciate any help. I know some may seem silly but Im a farmen girl in training..lol Thanks everyone in advance!

The only silly question is the one not asked.

How will I know when my hen's are ready to start laying?

There are some physical signs, like a red comb, but the main clue is you see eggs. Some may start laying around 16 weeks, but the average is probably aound 20 weeks. Some take longer.

When you first see your first egg or at age 20 weeks, whichever happens first, switch to layer ration. Do not switch before as the layer ration contains extra calcium and extra calcium is not healthy for growing chicks.

How do I know if they are edible or hatchable? (meaning If I leave them in there will they hatch, or if I take them will they be edible and not have baby chicks?)

This could get complicated so I'll try an abridged version. If you have a rooster with the hens, the eggs are probably fertile. Fertile eggs are as safe to eat as non-fertile eggs. If a hen goes broody and sets on the eggs for 21 days, fertile eggs will hatch.

Many people check for eggs 2 or 3 times a day. There are reasons to do this, but this does not fit everyone's schedule. My experience is that if you gather the eggs once a day, preferably in late afternoon or the evening, they will be safe to eat. If you want to hatch eggs, my recommendation for many reasons is to gather the eggs daily and, when a hen goes broody, put them under her. I cannot think of any reason to not gather eggs at least once a day. Check out a tremendous number of threads on broody hens for further information.

Hens will lay eggs whether a rooster is present or not. Doing the deed has no effect on egg production, only if the eggs are fertile.

Thanks so much!!
So If I dont want chicks, then check several times a day? I hear some people put golf balls in the box, whats that for?

I really apreciate all your help!

welcome-byc.gif
from California!!

Ridgerunner gave such good answers!
I have fake eggs, same purpose as golf balls to show them where I want them to lay their eggs. They seem to view them as eggs and if another hen found that spot desirable, then they will too. I also believe it gets the pecking at the eggs out of their system harmlessly!
You will need to have a rooster to have chicks, I check for eggs several times a day b/c I enjoy it!

I have three recommendations:
1) Read all you can in the BYC learning center.
2) Visit feathersite.com
3) Go to the library & check out whatever thay have on chickens.

Good luck!

YOU ASKED THESE QUESTIONS

Some may be silly, but I really dont have the slightest clue what I am doing. Learning as I go along!

(1 How will I know when my hen's are ready to start laying?
(answer there will be several eggs laid each day and in a row. This will tell you how many are laying. as each egg is made between 24 and 28 hrs depending on the hen and the breeding she came from on egg laying of strain.

(2How do I know if they are edible or hatchable? (meaning If I leave them in there will they hatch, or if I take them will they be edible and not have baby chicks?)
(answer well they will all be edible as if you don't have a rooster there is no fertility in eggs
Even if you have a rooster you will still be able to eat eggs. fertility does not maje them un edible.
Generally the eggs should be gathered daily and not left for the hen to become broody. They should be stored in egg cartons for the week to be ready to incubate in incubator
IF YOU WANT CHICKS and want hens to set, you need to put setting hens seperate from layers
as hens lay where there are eggs present in the nest, thus making new eggs not ready for hatching. The older laid eggs will spoil before the hen sets

(3 answer yes bring eggs in daily

(4 are you speaking of roosters mounting hens? generally they mate when the hen is laying
still they will lay their egg and the roosters do have favorite hens they mate a lot with.
I am sure you will get eggs and only when the hens are ready to lay
Go and read on my web site the article of
egg composition on the Avian site

Back
Top Bottom