Ok really! WHO IS SICK OF IT?! ~UPDATED!~

I trimmed my flock down to 7 hens and the rooster. As of this morning I am still getting 7 eggs per day, usually. Occasionally 6, rarer still, 5.

5 months is still early IME. I'd be surprised if the WERE already laying. Anywhere between 5 to 7 months is perfectly typical. Just take good care of them until then, and enjoy the anticipation...

I GOT MY EGG!!!
big_smile.png
HURRAY AND NOW MY GIRLIE WONT STOP DOING THE EGG SONG!
big_smile.png
OH WELL! I will post pics later
smile.png

I got my first egg from a hatchling today. They were hatched last May. I've always found my girls love warm goat milk on cold mornings, and they lay better. When I had a cow, I fed milk right from her. I also feed chopped spinach, out of a bag if I am out of fresh. I live in the mountains of Colorado, so we get cold. Just had over a foot of snow. Next morning the girls were chatting and laying, Be patient tho you are probably tired of hearing that. It's a transistional time of year. Put a fake egg in a nest box too.

Glad I found this thread! My girls range from 5 months to 4 months and are mostly larger or heritage breeds. I put the nest boxes in and check them every day, not really expecting anything yet, but don't want an egg to be sitting in there and me not know it! I'm not doing any extra light though, and I'm wondering if they don't start laying soon, will they lay at all during the winter, or will they wait until Spring and the days get longer?

Our 6 Buff Orpingtons will be 27 weeks on Thursday. We just started extra light hoping they will start up soon. One of the girls has started a different song which we're hoping means fresh eggs are on their way. These will be the most expensive eggs in history! Started with 15 organic chicks, 9 were roos and went to a local CSA that was supposed to finish raising them and splitting the meat (never happened), 27 weeks of organic food, a $1,600 coop, $300 solar charger and a $200 electric fence. Our first egg will be priceless! We can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom