Ok, Small, quiet, friendly ducks? Do they exist?

The muscovy is not a small duck though, they are rather large.

I have welsh harlequins right now and they are very quiet. They are a medium sized duck.

I had runners and let me tell you, along with call ducks, they can wake the dead.......

The hens/ducks are not though, the drakes OTOH now they are BIG.. I saw plenty of ducks at a swap a few weeks ago much larger than any of my Muscovy girls.

Muscovy ducks are relatively quiet. They aren't really ducks, even though they are called ducks. The females aren't huge like the males are and they can be social if they get enough attention.

Really, ducks would not be my recommendation for some one that needs a small and very quiet pet. Think about getting a rabbit, instead.

They aren't really ducks? Then what are they? Admittedly I am not that familiar with duck breeds, but they look like a duck...and are shown with the ducks...and are called Muscovy ducks....so if they aren't a duck...what are they?

I don't need "very quiet" just not "very loud". I couldn't, for example, have a goose...or a turkey...or a peacock. My hens aren't silent, but they aren't making tons of noise.

I think you'd like
'scovies the girls are not that big, i mean i can tuck one under my arm and I am not a big person at all.. This is a pic of my dusty with her 3wk old.. you'll see she isn't all that large and face really barely has fleshy red ... I'm in the country but i think they make a good, solid(not delicate meaning) relatively quiet duck. Forage very well and aren't flighty all my girls are full flight none are clipped... they all stay around.

Very cute. I know someone who has some chocolates that just hatched naturally and she believes several are going to be show quality. My daughters are young, one is still a primary, so having the best bird isn't everything, but they would like to have something above hatchery quality. They were looking at Rouens and Cayugas, but I'm leaning towards the Muscovies.

I love my Muscovies! And I agree....how are they not ducks? I know they are "wild" like mallard derived but aren't they still ducks?

You won't be disappointed with the Muscovies if you get them. They are very friendly when raised around humans. My male is coming around after having him a few months, but he was pretty much raised as a "wild" bird out in a pond with 100+ other Muscovies. But my females are pretty friendly, expecially Ellie...the one who is sitting on a nest of eggs right now <3

I love my Muscovies! And I agree....how are they not ducks? I know they are "wild" like mallard derived but aren't they still ducks?
I know they are one of the few not mallard derived and are more closely related to a goose but they are still ducks at least from what i have read/been told.
hu.gif

They are family Anatidae like all ducks, geese and swans. They are in the genus cairina, with only a few fitting in that category, but they are still considered ducks to my knowledge. I went and looked it up and I see nothing saying they aren't actually ducks...only a blip saying that DNA sequencing has shown that they they are actually closer related to the genus Aix with wood ducks instead. But...all still ducks it seems.

Again...I have basic zoology stuff under my belt but I am in no way an expert on ducks. I'd love to hear more on the subject.

All ducks are really loud, it doesn't matter what size, they can all really blast out the loud noise. All the small breeds are reduced in size but not in volume. Calls were deliberately developed to be extremely loud and noisy.

Muscovy ducks are relatively quiet. They aren't really ducks, even though they are called ducks. The females aren't huge like the males are and they can be social if they get enough attention.

Really, ducks would not be my recommendation for some one that needs a small and very quiet pet. Think about getting a rabbit, instead.
I have a rabbit. He is a lionhead and his name is Scooter!!

They are family Anatidae like all ducks, geese and swans. They are in the genus cairina, with only a few fitting in that category, but they are still considered ducks to my knowledge. I went and looked it up and I see nothing saying they aren't actually ducks...only a blip saying that DNA sequencing has shown that they they are actually closer related to the genus Aix with wood ducks instead. But...all still ducks it seems.

Again...I have basic zoology stuff under my belt but I am in no way an expert on ducks. I'd love to hear more on the subject.
I like this site too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/548042/the-miskito-mosquito-muscovy-duck

Back
Top Bottom