ok so i got an egg immediately after she laid it

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
Today and it was perfect shape i can actually tell the blunt end from pointy end (something I've had an issue with come cold weather) i noticed a crack no more than quarter of inch i sealed with candle wax i have read of multiple cases of sealing eggs after they have been incubating but can you do it before you place in incubator too!? Does it make a differece?

Yeah I've seen it all over google some people even use nail polish and super glue but they dry the candle or wipe the wax off of egg at day 18 so i figured that's was best solution but all the eggs have been incubated and accidently dropped while rotating or candling, unlike this one i just got and i didnt crack it. Lol

It may smell a small 'bator up like a candle but i read alot of ppl have had numerous successful hatches with this method of candle wax on cracks of egg...Lol

Why was it cracked? Would the incubator be too warm for the wax and it melt off? I have no idea really, just a thought

Mine have been cracking lately but I'm not able to gather until later in the day and its crazy cold here right now.

Why was it cracked? Would the incubator be too warm for the wax and it melt off? I have no idea really, just a thought

Mine have been cracking lately but I'm not able to gather until later in the day and its crazy cold here right now.
Probably because two hens were laying in one of my nesting boxes and due to room issues accidently stepped on it. Lol first time I've seen this occur it's really cold so i suppose they were just trying to keep warm? But the egg was still warm when i got it.. One of the hens was a buff orphington so yeah not the smallest pick to share a nesting box partner with for warmth i have several boxes and this is first time i have witnessed this so i assume they were just trying tp stay warm. Cant blame them.

Y'all should move to South Louisiana. No need to worry about the cold here. We had freezing temps 1 night I think so far.
Ugh dont make me jealous i cant go outside without my hands freezing up with gloves on. Plus will have to invest in a heated waterer..asap! The water freeezes within thirty mins outside for them.

Today is kinda cold. 45 degrees. My wife and I love the cold but it just don't get cold here. It snowed 2 weeks ago for the first time in like 10 years. Schools were closing, everyones workplace was closing. It was like the end of the world.

Soooo........so much for the bragging of how it never gets cold here. Yesterday I had to go outside and break the ice on the water for the chickens 4 times. That just doesn't happen here. They are talking about some more possible wintery mix this week.

Back
Top Bottom