ok so that didn't work!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have a silkie hen sitting on 13 eggs! Plus I have another hen sitting next to her (both laying in the same nest)

So it is about Day 3 of the one hen sitting and I thought...well I will move 6 of the eggs to the other nest so the other hen could sit...but she obviously is not broody as she has been outside most of the day grazing...so I moved the six eggs back to the other nest and the hen rolled them all under her. She is puffed out so big to sit on them all. I brought her a snack, but she just growled at me...curious to see when they will stop laying...there were 11 yesterday...and now 13...

isn't true she is not truly broody until she stops laying? *shrug*

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Just my opinion but maybe you should start marking the older eggs with a pencil that she is sitting on and removing the newer ones. I'm sure that there is a limit to how many she will be able to hatch. [​IMG]

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    I've only hatch from using broody hen once, but it seems like 12 or so eggs would be about the limit.

4. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    hmm crap...I did think of marking them a week ago...but I just thought I would let nature takes it course...as I have 8 in the bator as well.

but now I wish I had...I will try to mark these 13 and take away anymore they lay...

Thanks

5. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:I had this image of your Silkie sitting on a mound of eggs. [​IMG]

6. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    got pecked to death, but 13 eggs are marked...

*sigh* She is doing a good job covering them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by