ok so that didn't work!

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
I have a silkie hen sitting on 13 eggs! Plus I have another hen sitting next to her (both laying in the same nest)

So it is about Day 3 of the one hen sitting and I thought...well I will move 6 of the eggs to the other nest so the other hen could sit...but she obviously is not broody as she has been outside most of the day grazing...so I moved the six eggs back to the other nest and the hen rolled them all under her. She is puffed out so big to sit on them all. I brought her a snack, but she just growled at me...curious to see when they will stop laying...there were 11 yesterday...and now 13...

isn't true she is not truly broody until she stops laying? *shrug*

Just my opinion but maybe you should start marking the older eggs with a pencil that she is sitting on and removing the newer ones. I'm sure that there is a limit to how many she will be able to hatch.
smile.png

hmm crap...I did think of marking them a week ago...but I just thought I would let nature takes it course...as I have 8 in the bator as well.

but now I wish I had...I will try to mark these 13 and take away anymore they lay...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom