Broody Hen first time

Tammigurl1969

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2023
Hi all new here and new chicken mum. I have 3 hens and 1 rooster who is very good at his job. I have a Isa brown hen who I'm not sure how old who i think may be getting broody. All my hens lay in the same box and this 1 Isa brown hen over the last few days has started to stay in the box for longer periods. Today she has come out for food and water wandered around and has now been sitting on what I'm sure another hen laid this morning. She has been sitting for a good couple hours.

I want babies so I'm happy for a broody to hatch.

I have 3 questions.

1. Is this sounding like a broody hen? This has been going on 4/5 days but today is her longest sit.
2. Do I need to move her as the other chickens only lay in the box the broody is currently in? ( I did try placing a egg in other side a few days ago but one of them moved it into their laying box I think it was maybe broody )
3. Will the other hens leave her alone in the laying box and go lay in other box?

I'd really appreciate your help thank you 😊

Does she grumble/growl/screech when you move at her in the nest or when other birds are in her space?
I haven't seen her do any of that but they are usually out free ranging when I've noticed her sitting. Then when she is off the nest she is part of the group.again no problems. My 3 little hens and rooster all get along very well .

Today she is out and about no sitting. I'm going to get a second little pen and see if 1. They may lay more eggs or 2. She may get more clucky go in there or I'm prepared to put her in there if need be.

I think I'm obsessing with this hen lol. Today she did a weird thing and spread herself out on the hot cement and I put them away at 4pm like normal. The other 3 came running I had to coax her in. Then I just went out to throw scraps out and she is inside hen house under the nesting boxes now! I wonder if this is her first ever coming into clunky and she is confused or she is unwell?

Back
Top Bottom