Ok, Take a stab at the gender

ctcasper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Minnesota
I tried the best I could to get the best pics, but they were kinda stubborn about it. I have 15, so there are a lot of pics. There are 2 or 3 is some pics, i numbered them from left to right. I have 12 or 13 pics, so I will post them in two seperate threads. I just wanna know if there are ANY hens in the bunch so I can order more if I need too????
Thanks from a beginner.

1use.jpg

2use.jpg

3use.jpg

4use.jpg

5use.jpg

6use.jpg

The next six will come soon.

How old are they? I'm guessing between 8- 11 wks.. if close to that age roos would be crowing why by now (really way sooner then that)

I have one roo that looks exactly like the black and white one in your first pic. (not sure of breed, Barred rock maybe?) As in, I thought somehow you had come to my house, snapped a pic of mine, and posted it....or you took my chicken!!!!
lau.gif
Anyways, compared to my girls the main difference is the color of his comb and the size of it.

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg

I can guarantee mine's a roo, as far as yours go I guess it would depend on how old they are. Mine hasn't started crowing yet, that I know of, but then again he's a little sweetheart!!!!
hugs.gif

One thing that I noticed with mine at this age...
The cockerels will have bigger combs than the pullets. Also they will all have the little "bump" on the back of their leg, the cockerels will have a larger "bump" than the pullets. Because this little "bump" will eventually be spurs on the cockerels when they become roosters.

But the best way I could tell on mine was to compare combs and then leg band the ones I thought were hens, to see how close I was. It was pretty darn close!

Just FYI for leg bands I just used the small use the small colored cable ties and put them on loosely and cut off the excess. That way if I am wrong I can clip them off and switch them.

Just my opinion I think:
1-hen, 2-roo, 3-6 not sure, 7 roo, 8 hen, 9 hen, 10 roo, 11 hen, 12 hen, 13 roo, 14 roo, 15 roo.

But that is just my novice guess.

Last edited:
BTW, 9 look like a 'she' *maybe* what I've gathered from this forum is that a rule of thumb is to compare comb sizes and colors. Roos end up with larger, redder combs sooner, whereas hens' combs don't grow as quickly or as large. Hens' combs don't get red as quick as roosters. Are they all the same age??? There's no week or so difference between any of them???

Back
Top Bottom