OK to feed drake layena?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kmoreau, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I have 1 drake and 1 hen...( i know, i know... he needs atleast 3 hens to keep them all safe, but he is really easy with her, and only breeds when she wants too...i.e. if he head bobs and she head bobs, its game on. If he head bobs and she doesnt he will wait. (plus I want to get ducklings in the spring but my husband isnt having it) They also only seem to mate in the morning, right after I let them into their clean pool, I have paid attention and they dont seem to do it any other time of day.)
    Well I have recently discovered that she is laying. For the past month or so I have been feeding layena pellets, mixed with crack corn, and scratch... plus the free range and get egg...veggies...fruit...worms...and even sometimes feeder fish.

I just have read conflicting information. Can I feed my drake layena, if dinner is usually half layena and half corn/grains? he has so far seemed fine, and he likes it. I just want to make sure I am doing whats best in the long run.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My drakes have had layer pellets before with ill effects. However their were free ranging quite a bit.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, it's ok. I have always fed them that and no problems.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I hear different things, too. Those who don't think it's a good idea base it on longer term internal organ damage - rough on the kidneys.

Were I to add a drake to the flock, I'd work to minimize their calcium intake compared to what the girls get. Free choice oyster shell and maintenance feed is likely how I'd go.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Just what were these "ill effects"? Why do you think the laying pellets might have caused them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by