ok to feed spent grain from brewing beer

Because it is wet, it will spoil quickly. So it needs to be well dried in order to store it.

If you have a brewery, you might need to get a couple of pigs, too, since you are probably producing a lot more grain than your chickens can eat.

There is a local group that raises cattle on brewery grains and sell for premium prices, using clever advertising about how premium their beef is because of the diet.

goodpost.gif

its drying as we type, i made a couple of dryers but its slow going for now, i know how quickly the stuff will spoil. hopefully with warmer weather it will go faster, thanks for the info and advice

This is great to know! Question: would the grains still be considered a fermented food? Also, someone mentioned hops...would spent hops be good to feed to the chickens?

No, the grains themselves don't get fermented.

ah, okay, good to know. are the spent hops also good for chicken feed?

The microbrewery in Myrtle Beach already gives their grains to a farmer. Now searching for local folks that might brew at home. Oh, I don't suppose a winery has anything of use?

one thing i have noticed is that my hens seem to prefer the grain wet, straight from the brewer over the dried grain. they almost fought each other when i brought it home, they still like it but nowhere the same enthusiasm. any ideas as to why? wondering if i should freeze it instead of drying it

one thing i have noticed is that my hens seem to prefer the grain wet, straight from the brewer over the dried grain. they almost fought each other when i brought it home, they still like it but nowhere the same enthusiasm. any ideas as to why? wondering if i should freeze it instead of drying it

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/article/viewFile/60378/48610

You really don't have to dry it out before you feed it. If you are storing large amounts, it might be prohibitive to keep it as a moist feed but if you are receiving it, then feeding it, it should be even more beneficial. Read the article for a study done on feeding wet, fermented feeds to pigs and poultry...it's an eye opener.

Quote: The advantages of fermenting feeds can be summarised
from the table as follows;
i.) Reduction in the level of anti-nutrients within the feed.
ii.) Improved bioavailability of minerals (e.g. P, Ca, Mg
and Cu).
iii.) Increase in protein contents (lysine, histidine and
methionine).
iv.) Breakdown of indigestible carbohydrates.

Research on the use of fermented moist feeds on the
performance of chickens is limited. However, some studies
have shown that wet feeding increases the feed
intake and growth rate of chickens (Yalda and Forbes,
1995; Yasar and Forbes, 1999; Mai, 2007). Pre-soaking
of broiler feeds for 12 and 24 h significantly increased dry
matter digestibility and body weight gain in male broilers
(25 - 40 days of age) compared with dry feed (Yalda and
Forbes, 1996). Bacterial fermentation of barley and wheat
whole meal flours with -glucan-degrading LAB has
improved growth and early feed:gain ratio in broiler
chickens (Skrede et al., 2003).