ok to feed spent grain from brewing beer

Got to chuckle over the volume. I did a Dopplebock 10 gallon batch that used 40 lbs. of dry grain that probably doubled in weight before I tried putting them in the plastic grocery bags in balls. RIGHT they are not round after freezing and I filled my freezer free space with one batch and I have no chickens yet (soon). Plastic wrap works better, no corners. However I do have a brew season and I hope the chickens can keep up with it. As an after thought once you free the "balls" you can save them for winter treats....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If ya all are in Arizona, join us on a tour
http://www.craftbeeraz.com/

I homebrew also and am planning on at least giving the chickens some of the spent grain. I make bread a dog biscuits out of them also. Just be careful because, as I'm sure you know, the grains can go sour pretty quickly...
how do you make the bread and biscuits? i was hoping to get some ideas for making a flock block that may keep longer then the fermented feed by themselves

Thanks everyone for all the info. Just got my first 2 5 gallon buckets of spent grain from a beer brewery thanks to one of my neighbors. (free is always nice) The girls (have six hens) loved it. I have since bagged it all and crammed it into the freezer. I did make a huge batch of dog cookies last night with it and both my dogs sat in front of the oven the entire time the cookies where baking. I'm thinking this is gonna last me for some time.

Back
Top Bottom