OK to remove the head lamp, for good?

Invertalon

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey there!

My chickens have been outside for the past two or three weeks... Two of them are around 6-7 weeks, the other two 9-10 weeks of age (white leghorn and red sex links). They are fully feathered, but at night I would put on the heat lamp in the coop where they sleep at night. Should I be OK to no longer give them this heat source? Lows for the next week never really go below 50 at all.

Also, should I replace the 250W bulb with some low wattage red bulb (like a CFL, 13W bulb) or let them manage in the darkness?

First time with chickens, so just want to make sure they will be ok!

Thank you so much!

I turned my light off when my chicks were about 8 weeks and they have done very well, some temps have been in the 20's at night even! I think your chicks will be totally fine!

It sounds like you have transitioned them well, by giving them the light at night only for awhile. If it were me I would just stop the light. If they seem confused and don't go in the coop you can try a small LED or flashlight for a few nights until they go in.

I am assuming that they are in a draft-free coop, nice and comfy! If you are concerned about them being cold, go with your gut, I say!

Some coops are sheds, others are rabbit hutches with no wind protection (all chickens need wind protection). I never know what someone's setup is like when I give advice.

Also, I wouldn't use a CFL in a coop myself, because if that thing breaks, it's hazmat time!! But I digress....
lol.png

Yes, the coop is draft free! The only opening is where the ramp comes up from the run area. I plan to add a ventilation opening up top soon though before it gets very hot. They spend most of the time in the run though anyway during the day, in which there is always a shaded part when sunny out. They only go up to get a drink of water.

I just want to make sure it is not too cool though! They had no time being out all day when it was 50 last week highs, so I figure that at night should be fine. Plus with the heat they give off, it should be comfortable for them!

Thanks for help on that!

One additional question... At night, I have been putting up a "door" in the opening from the run to the coop box... Just so at night, if anything should break in, they would have another safety measure from intruders. Is there any risk of something digging under the coop to get in? Or is that really a non-issue? My yard is completely fenced in, so we would not have foxes or anything like that. At worst, a raccoon or possum? Good practice to keep doing this, or not needed?

Quote:
Close the door every night. Get your ventilation in because it is important in all weather. AND if you have not skirted your coop with wire also you need to.
We went over a year without predators....then in the last month we have had two racoons and the loss of three hens all a different times and one possum and two feral cats....and I mean feral and not someone pets. It is not worth it, how it makes you feel when you lose one because you did not protect them....Ft. Knox in my yard now!!!

Sounds good!! The ventilation is not terrible, but I want to add one more vent area on the back of the coop up high. Right now we have the main door opening (in which the safety door I put up at night is a wired open design, so air flow gets in just fine) and there is small gaps around the upper boarder of the coop box area... But I still want to add one more larger opening on the back. Will be my project tomorrow after my finals in the morning! Along with another roost bar in the run for them to play on.

Appreciate the help everyone!

Quote:
Digging predators should be protected against in the coop at night, yes! And you want your openings that are not covered in hardware cloth to be no greater than 1/2 inch, as weasels can get in if it is larger than that with no 1/2 inch hardware cloth on it.

By the way, 1/2 inch hardware cloth is good over holes cut in coops- it is strong and keeps predators out. Chicken wire and larger welded wire can still let in predators.

Aprons are good (fencing sitting on ground and joined with the wall) at keeping out digging predators.

Last edited:
Sounds great! Thanks for the suggestions.

The coop is entirely wrapped with chicken wire, and around the permiter of the coop itself is another fence (to keep our dogs away from the coop) and our yard chain link fence (5' high). So there are a few obstacles for something to get around! But I check for any damage every day to make sure nothing is even trying to get in. And if they can make it into the run area, I have that door that is held in place tightly, which is double-sided in chicken wire. So it would be quite a battle!

I tried to leave the light off when I put the ladies to sleep tonight, but the leghorns got really noisy. Plugged the light in and they quieted down. So for tonight I will leave the light on, but tomorrow I will replace the bulb with something just for some light, versus heat. It seems they like the light for now...

Thanks again!

Agree with everyone else, they should be fine w/o the heat but I'd go with a red bulb kinda for night light sorta. Mine are like kids that are scared of the dark with out it!

Stopped at Home Depot and found a 23W CFL Red Flood Light to use for them! Versus the 250W one they have now... The CFL bulb is sealed, in case anything should happen. So it should be safe against mercury
smile.png
haha

Back
Top Bottom