Ok... what happended to my daily egg?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prisserbabe, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    My chicken started laying on Oct 29 and has laid a egg a day since, but not today?! what happened? [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Well one egg a day is normal for some breeds of chickens, but even the most prolific hens will take a day off now and then. So this is well in the range of normal.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Chickens are not vending machines. They do not (usually) lay every 24 hours.

Most chickens form a completed egg ever 26 to 36 hours. So if she laid at 8am today, tomorrow she might lay at 10am, and the day after she might lay at noon.

If her "time to lay" is after dark, she'll probably hold it until the next day.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Also at this time of year there may not be enough hours of daylight for a hen to keep laying. Hens need about 14 hours of daylight in order to lay.

5. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:Oh thank you! [​IMG] and I'll keep that in mind [​IMG] and her "time to lay" is around 12 p.m

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I caught one of my banty hens yesterday. She flew over the fence, laid an egg in the bushes and flew back into the pen. I was wondering why I was only getting eggs from one banty.there were three eggs in her secret nest!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have a PR who makes sure every day is Easter morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by