Ok whats this graphic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gamebirdsonly, Mar 6, 2011.

1. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    One of my Bcm has been getting heavyer the last few weeks I thought she might have been egg bound. Well she passed away today so I decided to open her up to see what was going on and this is what I found just curious what caused it.

It just looked like a lot of fat?

[​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Pic doesn't show. From your description it could be tumor or eggbound or anything, see if you can fix the pic for us [​IMG]

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Wow. I can see the picture. It does look like fat to me but I am NOT an experienced chicken person. It was a sudden weight gain?

4. gamebirdsonly

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Over about 3 week time. She acted normal eating walking around just what chickens do.

5. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Hmm...I still can't see it [​IMG] Sorry buddy...can't help ya. Someone should come along shortly who can though [​IMG]

ETA: Ewwww...now I see it, and I see what you mean...no idea though. Part of that looks like undigested corn [​IMG] Been feeding a lot of corn lately? Maybe she gorged herself and gained too much too fast and had a heart attack? That's all I can think of... Sure hope someone can help you!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    LLV???????

Maybe Allenwranch would know if that is the case.

7. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:What is LLV?

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    LLV is Lymphoid Leukosis Virus. It is a virus that causes tumors in chickens.

I cannot see the picture either, but LLV doesn't usually come on so quickly. From your description, it sounds like internal egg laying or fast growing tumors of another type. The only way to know for sure is with tissue cytology.

Speckledhen had several hens die of a similar cause. When opened, they all had fatty type tumors. See this thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362422.

9. gamebirdsonly

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Here is the pic again.

[​IMG]

10. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I can't tell what I'm seeing. Is that the abdomen opened up? Do you have any other pictures, especially of the liver/ spleen/ and ovaries? That would help a lot. Leukosis usually will show up as a mass of tumors in the liver, sometimes elsewhere. (I just had one die of this, and had it confirmed by the state lab.) More pics would be helpful. It does look like a lot of subcutaneous/abdominal fat though. What are you feeding? Had she been laying? Did you open the crop or look at the lungs at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by