Experienced hen laying bloody eggs (somewhat graphic)

kwende

Hatching
Mar 12, 2024
Hello all,

I'm new here, so I hope it's OK to post a somewhat graphic picture. I have an Australorp who has been laying bloody eggs (on the shell) now for about a week and a half. I'm going to call the vet and get her in, but I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts on what might be happening / what can be done to help her? I trust the vet, but I trust experienced raisers more. I first noticed it when she was walking oddly out of the coop one day and I noticed she still hadn't passed one egg. It took her a while of walking around the yard to finally drop it (in the flower bed, of course). I'm assuming she's just having a real hard time getting them out. None of her other nest mates are having these issues.

She's about two years old, and has just started laying again this Spring. I have owned her for about a year now (got her when she was 1 from a farmer nearby), and I never noticed this before. I was thinking of deworming them soon, could a high worm load cause this?

Attached is the worst one we've seen so far.

1710267240637.png

That looks like a pretty large egg. Has she been laying bigger than regular? It sounds like she's having a hard time laying them, therefore straining alot, and a blood vessel burst. If it continues what I would be the concerned about is her becoming egg bound from it. Aside from that though there's not really anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on her.

Coccidiosis. Treat the whole flock with Corid, 3/4 teaspoon to a gallon of water for 5 days. Make sure they don't have access to any water other than the treated water. Don't eat the eggs while you are treating them and for about 12 days after treatment. If not treated it is fatal.

Hello all,

I'm new here, so I hope it's OK to post a somewhat graphic picture. I have an Australorp who has been laying bloody eggs (on the shell) now for about a week and a half. I'm going to call the vet and get her in, but I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts on what might be happening / what can be done to help her? I trust the vet, but I trust experienced raisers more. I first noticed it when she was walking oddly out of the coop one day and I noticed she still hadn't passed one egg. It took her a while of walking around the yard to finally drop it (in the flower bed, of course). I'm assuming she's just having a real hard time getting them out. None of her other nest mates are having these issues.

She's about two years old, and has just started laying again this Spring. I have owned her for about a year now (got her when she was 1 from a farmer nearby), and I never noticed this before. I was thinking of deworming them soon, could a high worm load cause this?

Attached is the worst one we've seen so far.

1710267240637.png
Welcome to BYC. She's probably torn her reproductive tract a little. Is a vet an option?

Coccidiosis. Treat the whole flock with Corid, 3/4 teaspoon to a gallon of water for 5 days. Make sure they don't have access to any water other than the treated water. Don't eat the eggs while you are treating them and for about 12 days after treatment. If not treated it is fatal.
The hen is laying bloody eggs, not having bloody poops. Also, there is no egg withdrawal after treatment with Corid.

Lots of misinformation here.
Coccidiosis. Treat the whole flock with
The blood is almost certainly not from coccidiosis.
Treat the whole flock with Corid, 3/4 teaspoon to a gallon of water for 5 days.
The correct dose is:
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon
Don't eat the eggs while you are treating them and for about 12 days after treatment.
There is no egg withdrawal when treating with amprolium (Corid).
If not treated it is fatal.
It can be fatal. Many times they do recover without treatment.

Australorps are high production layers so it’s not unusual that she’s having issues especially at the 2 year mark. Maybe you can help her with a calcium supplement for awhile to help with her contractions. The vet might recommend the contraceptive implant to give her a break from laying.

That looks like a pretty large egg. Has she been laying bigger than regular?
Hi! Thanks for your response.

That's actually my daughter's hand, and she's 7 ;) I'd say it's actually 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches.

It sounds like she's having a hard time laying them, therefore straining alot, and a blood vessel burst. If it continues what I would be the concerned about is her becoming egg bound from it.

Yeah, I was worried about that.

Aside from that though there's not really anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on her.

Thank you!

Welcome to BYC.

Thanks! Happy to be here.
She's probably torn her reproductive tract a little. Is a vet an option?

Yes! I'm taking her to the vet next week. Unfortunately, there's only one avian vet in my area and he is often very much in high demand. I was mostly curious what the experienced raisers here thought too, at least what I could do in the meantime.

Maybe you can help her with a calcium supplement for awhile to help with her contractions.

Ok. I will do that. We have oyster shells (crushed) that we supplement in their food. I can look around for other options too.
The vet might recommend the contraceptive implant to give her a break from laying.

Oh, wow. I didn't know there was such a thing. Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom