Ok without heat lamp?

Mine got very noisy when they accidentally got too cool. I'd listen to them.

They've always been noisy, not just yesterday. Even when they're running around and playing/flying/scratching for food/etc. They never shut up, unless they're sleeping. :rolleyes: If they were cold, wouldn't they be huddled up?

Some hundle, some scream...mine always screamed until I put on the light and then they were quiet :)

They should be fine with the lower wattage bulb. I have a broody hen who's been taking her chicks outside in 40 - 50 degree F weather, cloudy or sunny. They're two weeks old and don't seem to mind the cool temps at all, and are often outside for hours - sometimes snuggling with mom for warm.

Chicks are 2.5-3 weeks old. (Got them from TSC on the 13th, not sure exact DOB)
Their heat lamp bulb broke today. The glass completely separated from the metal spiral part you twist into the lamp... Paid $20 for the stinkin' thing not even 2 weeks ago!!
he.gif

The brooder is in the house, open/wire grid sides. Do you think they'll be fine without a lamp for the time being? I won't be able to get in town to get a new bulb until at least Wednesday.
I am happy for you that your chickens are doing well. I was under the impression from you post that you were asking it they would be fine without a heat lamp. You did not say you were using a lower wattage bulb.

If that was your question what I would agree that they would be fine at that age.

I am sorry if I offended you and apologise.
smile.png

I live in Mid-Missouri my chicks are now just under 4 weeks old. This is my 2nd try, I have a 4x8 coop simple construction.
In the beginng I used a 100 watt bulb in a light bell hanging in one corner of the coop. One night three days after I got them
it got down to 30f I got up at 4:30 a.m. worried that they had died from the cold when I looked in the coop it was 32f and only a
couple were under the light the rest were running around playing and scratching in the wood shavings ( I have 13 Rhode lands)
Last week I went to a 60 watt bulb the night temps still get down to the low 40s. I have never seen them act or huddle as if they
were cold and I check on them a lot. They have also feather out very nicely.

We have 3 chicks that are 2 weeks old and 3 that are about 4 days old now and one of my kids managed to short out the heat lamp today! This wasn't discovered until after Home Depot closed so I was happy to see others have gone without the lamp. We're in Houston and the temp shouldn't drop below 60, still I was trying to figure out what our options were. Emergency blanket over half of the brooder? Let them huddle together for warmth? I'm starting to wish we had gotten a full grown bantam to watch over them
hmm.png

If you have a space heater like you'd use in the bathroom or under a sink to keep pipes from freezing you can put them in a small room with the heater. That's what I did with my chicks and they turned out really well and are now 6 and 8 weeks old (35 chicks total) in their outside pen. Good luck!

I've been doing an experiment with 4 chicks, got them as 2-3 days old. They are now almost 2 weeks old, and they haven't been under a heat lamp at all since I got them. I've been trying the 'cold brooder' method and it's been working great! They are a lot tougher than you'd think... Mine have thrived despite 40*-50* F. temps at night. They have a cage brooder (keep out of drafty areas) with a mini coop that is insulated for them to warm up in.
I live offgrid so I don't have enough power for a heat lamp, but this method has been working wonderfully for me so far!

The mini coop is a cardboard box lined with 'emergency blanket' foil, and stuffed 1/2 way with straw. On the inside 'roof' of the box I have the same foil draped from the top slanting down til it lays on the straw in the back of the box. With a small chick sized door hole on the front of the box. I have some wood shavings on the floor of the cage and their food and water is also out there too. I hope this helps! ;)

That sounds great! We have such warm weather here it seems my chicks are usually quite comfortable. I'm happy to hear yours are doing well without a lamp!

Back
Top Bottom