Ok you live frugal but Christmas is right around the corner. Now what.

Quote:
don't be embarrassed for shopping a at the dollar store.. there are so many of them because there are so many of us that need them..

this year is really tight. I dont see how im going to make it thru without skipping a bill or two.. and that is just to cover family not friends .l my sister said shes having such a hard time. her children survival benifits are being held back for nov and dec because they said she made too much money this year so .. she is worried about covering rent let alone presents.. her suggestion was that we do something small like stocking stuffers only and then in jan or feb when tax time comes have a x-mas celebration... we might just do that..
My son is the youngest at 14. and the oldest at 18 and they both understand whats the deal with money.

my prayers and blessing to all with small children and to all a wonderful holiday season of family and friends..
)O(
pink

I have heard of others making homemade vanilla asking family, friends for their used glass vanilla bottles. They just fill it up with the new, homemade vanilla.

Rudolph leaves jammies, he gets them at Goodwill because reindeer can't afford more. They don't have elves after all. Then Santa brings the one big family present. Then the kids get 3 others, Jesus got 3, they get 3. Family, we do family gifts there.

3 yo had the BEST present ever last year. DH took old corrugated plastic, glued it together into a box and wrapped it. Jack loved it that morning and still loves it. Cost DH 3 dollars for the glue.

Don't forget to look in the material sections of the second hand shops like Good Will. I picked up 7 yards of awesome courdary (tan, and one brown) for TWO BUCKS EACH! Also got a whole lot of good quality wools which I will break down into thick scarves and machine embroyder on them. From the material I have enough stuff to make my three year old grandson a few pairs of nice pants, and he and his dad matching brown flannel shirts (material cost a dollar) The dark brown cord is enough to make my granddaughter a jumper pleaded dress and matching lined long jacket (found some light pink lining in my material nesting boxes, along with some same colored big pink heart buttons/ribbons. Will machine embroyder matching pink flowers along the hem of the dress I think. Made a few purses to match personalities of those gifting to. Finished two pairs of pants. Get buttons from second hand shops along with thread sometimes. Have a jackload of various jams/jellies/mead ready to give out, and my cousins and sisters have a tradition of going through our grandmother's old recipe box to make deserts to hand out and share. We copy her handwritten recipes and hand them out with the treats. I can't afford to shop like I usually do, but truth is, I'm having more fun. I USED to cook and sew all the time, but work steals away time.

Last edited:
Probably two gifts, maybe three. One for each of our kids and one for our almost here grandbaby. If people have a problem with our choice,
smack.gif

It has been hard this year or two so one gift is better than none!
thumbsup.gif

Last year had only $65 for all three kids (DH and I never do presents for each other anymore); able to buy 3 DaisyShooter air rifles with steel shot. Watched the public library's copy of A Christmas Story 2 nights before Christmas. I was working on Christmas morning, but on Christmas Eve stowed the wrapped rifles behind the drapes behind the Christmas tree. I heard all about it when I got home from work that night!

They were out back all day in their boots and pj's shooting cans off the picnic table.

6chickens in St. Charles :

Last year had only $65 for all three kids (DH and I never do presents for each other anymore); able to buy 3 DaisyShooter air rifles with steel shot. Watched the public library's copy of A Christmas Story 2 nights before Christmas. I was working on Christmas morning, but on Christmas Eve stowed the wrapped rifles behind the drapes behind the Christmas tree. I heard all about it when I got home from work that night!

They were out back all day in their boots and pj's shooting cans off the picnic table.

Sounds like they loved their gifts! I love hearing stories like this.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom