Okay BLRW over white Wyandotte give blue chicks but what happen when cross those chicks!

Okay the last person told me to treat them as black because they came from white and breed true to white.

So your saying I might not even get blue chicks from a BLRW Roo over white hens!
They may be black underneath. It is quite possible. You won't know until you try a test breeding. I do agree any males are likely to have red leakage, and while the pullets don't show it they carry it.

But the chicks will look different when hatched than my true BLRW chicks( which can be black laced red, blue laced red and splash laced).

So sell as eye candy and layers and meat chicks only! No breeding the chicks. But the pullets should be solid blue and solid black no leakage. Males likely leakage!

Sorry just making sure and good to know not to cross these then. Probably not even back to a BLRW!

So two different pens then. Was hoping just to put BLRW over my 3 BLRW hens and 5 white Wyandottes so it is easier and one less pen! Thought could tell chicks apart! Like chipmunk look and solid look!
1f61f.png

Are white Wyandottes recessive white? Won't that make the result of a cross difficult to determine in advance?

That is true, they are based on recessive white(c/c) and due to the many genes on this cross, it will make it very difficult to determine in advanced.

Are you saying that all White Wyandottes are Recessive White or if they are Recessive White it would be difficult to determine in advance. Is it possible that these are based on Dominant White?

Thanks

Are you saying that all White Wyandottes are Recessive White or if they are Recessive White it would be difficult to determine in advance. Is it possible that these are based on Dominant White?

Thanks
White Wyandottes are known to be recessive white c/c, based on eb/eb most of them are just partridge based, but some people when breeding for type may introduce black/blue and any other color because eventually they will all be white.

So do I have to do two separate pens with each a rooster because I won't be able to tell the chicks that are BlueLRW, BLackLRW and SplashLaced Wyandottes( which are from breeding my (laced wyandotte). from my chicks that will come from the white Wyandotte mothers that should be solid black or blue( white is breeding the laced Roo with solid white Wyandotte)
Just rather not have two pens for number of birds!

My white Wyandotte come from white parents and breed true too which. Just I did not end up with a white Roo.
1f642.png

I’m a little confused by this post. You say you did not end up with a White rooster. Was that from the same white parents? Is this the rooster you are talking about?

Or did he hatch from BLRW parents, or some combination that would give you a BLRW rooster? There are several combinations of Splash, Blue, and Black RLW that could give you a rooster pure for the genetics to get a Blue that will breed true. Splash with Blue gives you some Splash and some Blue. Splash with Black gives you all Blue, Blue with Black gives you some Blue and some Black, and Blue with Blue gives you some Splash, some Blue, and some Black.

There are two basic ways to make a solid white chicken, Dominant White with Black or Recessive White with anything if the Recessive White genes pair up. With Dominant White the Dominant White genes do not have to pair up bur Dominant White only works on what would otherwise be a black feather. If you do not know which your white chickens are based on you cannot predict the outcome of crossing them to chickens with other colors and patterns. Based on Nicalandia’s answer to my question with Recessive White you really can’t predict what they will look like anyway with Recessive White.

I have never bred laced birds. According to the cross calculator lacing is a dominant gene so if the rooster is pure for that gene all offspring should get it.

I like the suggestion that you play with that color calculator. It can help you gain a basic understand of what happens with crosses. There is a bit of a learning curve in manipulating it and a big challenge is knowing what genetics you actually start with. To me it would be worth your time just to demonstrate what might happen if you cross offspring of crosses as you asked in your first post.

I’m not even close to Keesmom in genetic knowledge and Nicalandia is one of the genetic experts on this forum. But if you PM my with questions I’ll be glad to help you with the mechanics of working that calculator. I warn you though, it can become addictive.

They are two complete different hatches from different locations.

I bought hatching eggs from one lady that are just white Wyandotte hatching eggs. Just did not end up with a white Roo! Some hatched but we had extreme humidity and flooding here and I lost a lot of chicks even though windows opens and fans on! It was just to much! So lost any white Roos!

Then I bought 3 BLRW Roos and BLRW hatching eggs from a completely different lady. Those I obviously have the Roos I bought plus the fees eggs I hatched!

Back
Top Bottom