Okay folks get your thinkin caps on... I just got two Emu eggs.

The egg...
Theegg.jpg

I have it in the basement keeping it cool until the chicken chicks are done with the bator.

I am no expert here but ratites (emus, rheas, and ostriches) I think are a little more tricky to hatch then chicken eggs. I used to live and work on and ostrich ranch years ago when ostriches were the big thing. I remember that incubation and hatching was kind of on the tricky side. Where I lived they had a pretty big operation and they had the huge walk in type incubators. I do remember is that if the temp/humidity where not right on or close it could be very detrimental.

Length of incubation, temperature, and humidity suggestions vary greatly, so use the suggestions below only as guidelines. Hatching time varies from 36-45 days for ostrich eggs, 46-56 days for emu eggs, and 36-44 days for rhea eggs.

Requirements for relative humidity during incubation also vary with species: 10-40 percent (usually around 20 percent) for ostrich eggs, 35-55 percent (usually around 40 percent) for emu eggs, and 40-55 percent (usually around 45 percent) for rhea eggs.

Unless you intend to contract incubation and hatching with another producer, you'll need a forced-draft incubator able to maintain a constant temperature of between 96 and 99.5°F Temperature for incubating ratite eggs is around 96.5°F.

I am sure you will do your research should the egg hatch, but here is some additional info for you.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw494-e/#anchor1616956

In case you are not aware, if the egg hatches you will need to get ratite food for the chick, not chicken feed.

Good Luck​

mustang.....These eggs appear to me to be very tough! I bought one egg.....it was shipped. I incubated it in a hova bator ( still air, no turner) I hand turned 1/4 every 4 hours during the day. If I wasn't here or awake it didn't get turned. I never checked humidity...I would just add a little water to the tray. My dog even unplugged the bator from the wall one night. It was incubated at about 100 degrees for about a week or two. It really went throught the gammet and came out strong. I actually found this 100 timeseasier to hatch than a chicken egg. Maybe I was just lucky! The onlyh special thing I did was to fan my hand in the bator when I opened it to turn the egg just to circulate the air in there.
smile.png
Oh and they can be fed an unmedicated game bird starter if ratite feed is unavailable in your area.

See what Kristina started???? I put the classes two Emu eggs in the bator yesterday, I'm worried about one though, when I moved it I felt something inside move and I was wonding if it migh have come loose in the mail or something. The other was fine and I felt no movement in it. When are you going to start your egg?
Kate

I still have four eggs in the bator and due to hatch within the next three days. As soon as it is possible to safely move the chicks to the brooder the biggin goes in.

Back
Top Bottom