Okay folks get your thinkin caps on... I just got two Emu eggs.

sgray136

Crowing
16 Years
May 11, 2007
Huntertown, Indiana
I know that this is a chicken forum and I do have chickens BUT I had the opportunity to grab two freshly laid Emu eggs and took them. I currently have them in the coolest part of the basement standing on end in plastic cups.

I have seven chicken eggs in my bator now that are due to hatch on the 9th of this month so my bator is full for at least another week.

I need to get a plan... I need to get some idea on the temp, humidity, turning rate and hatch time along with any other advice. I have seen the other thread with the newly hatched Emu chick and thought everyone might enjoy getting these two started an ongoing thread started while they are incubating.

Any takers?
big_smile.png

Hey there got your PM....I will say that I was told NEVER to stand the eggs on end. I followed that as a rule of thumb the whole time. I know you said you had a neighbor who raises them? Just thought I would pass that bit on.

temp 97.5 (I used a still air bator so I set it at 98.5)

humidity at 30% during incubation (I didn't add any extra water till I saw the pip)

Turn a 1/4 turn every four hours (I skipped that part while I was sleeping
smile.png
)

Hatch time anywhere between 48-55 days ( I stopped turning on day 47 since I wasn;t sure there was a chick till I saw rocking)

Seriously I think these are basically no fail eggs unless the eggs are no good. Mine went through trial and tribbulation and still came out strong.
smile.png

LMK if you have anymore questions and I'll answer the best I can. Oh and I'll probably be getting two more eggs myself
smile.png

If one O' them hatch it'll get a pass because the processor said he wouldn't smoke another of my birds unless it was 20lbs or smaller. I think I'll get me another Tom for 2008 so's we can add to the wall of Honor as is our new tradition.

Thanks Kristina, as soon as the bator is free I'm gonna put em in. I had mama go lay them on their side in the storage cabinet so's to get them off of their ends.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom