1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Okay.. how do you keep white baby chicks clean?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fdnick, Sep 27, 2007.

1. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    are they too young to bathe? they love to roll in the water then the dirt and muck :O) must be a boy chick [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you could keep them warm and dry them up you could carefully give them a bath or wipe them down. I just gave up with my white birds... they are now brown and yellow tinted.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Sorry to say it only gets worse with age. My ameraucana (who is pure white) was dust bathing today in the rain. She's covered from head to toe. I asked her how she planned on getting clean and she just gave me a look. [​IMG]

4. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    Well.. at least she did not talk back, just a look is OKAY :O) .. LOL

5. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    Whats with the yellow tinting?? course we have the same problem with the horses and there white manes and tails.. I think you are right though.. let them have fun and just be chicks :O)

6. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    I don't really have a problem with my white chickens other than their foot feathers. I'd just take a warm wash cloth and wipe the chick off. Make sure he/she doesn't get too cold though!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

NO mud problem! Let me guess... you have grass still and it doesn't rain/drizzle 300 days a year?

8. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    HAHAHA.. nope we are in Spokane and no issues yet though the hubby just said a strom is headed our way next week its supposed to rain all week!! BUT we can sure use it :O)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by