okay i was board so... ia am trying to hatch refrigerated eggs

swiftfoot

Songster
12 Years
Dec 23, 2007
Blountville , TN
o kay i really got bored so i am trying tho hatch 2 eggs i got out of the refridgerator i candled them and they showed they were fertile so i guess ill see what happens
i candled them again today and it looks like they are growing i dunno what will happen
maybe they will hatch
maybe they will form but not hatch
idunno.gif

Last year when I was hatching, I had a hen killed by a hawk....I had some of her eggs that had been in the fridge for who knows how long.....I figured I had nothing to lose, so I threw them in the incubator and low and behold, one of them hatched!
big_smile.png

Please share with us how you candled them and what indication you know to find the eggs are fertile.

In all of my years of experience the only way to know an egg is fertile is to either crack it open and look for the bullseye on the yolk or to incubate it a few days and check for growth.

To my knowledge there is no other way to know an egg is fertile. It is not something you can tell by simply candling a fresh egg.

i used a high power shop lamp i just took tin foil and put it over the top and then just hold the egg over the hole
usually you can see like a stringy substance on the side of the yoke

The only way to tell if eggs are fertile (any egg) refridged or fresh is to crack a few open into a dish and look for the sperm disc or bullseye..You can not candle a fresh egg and tell if its fertile... After incubating for a few days if you are a good candler then you may see fertility developing in the eggs...Day 7 is a great day to candle, you will see veining and the eye or embryo of the chick forming...

I have refridged eggs before and had someone ask if they could have hatching eggs...these were in the refrigerator for acouple days, they let them warm up to room temps and did have a hatch from them, not 100% but a few did hatch...Someone on here did hatch a Safeway grocery store egg once...

The stringy like thing is called the Chalazae, it's two cord like structures to keep the yolk centered in the egg...What your looking for when you crack a fresh egg for fertility is the bulleyes or sperm disc inside the bulleyes...

Last edited:
That stringy substance is called the chalaza. Its purpose is to hold the yolk in place and help keep it equally suspended in the egg whites. Contrary to common myths it is not rooster sperm. You can't see that in an egg. It (the chalaza) has nothing at all to do with fertility.

Back
Top Bottom