Is this egg worth hatching?

Stoneyquails

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
So I am hatching eggs for this first time. These are quail, not chicken, but figured I’d ask here.
The shipment I got 15/27 eggs were broken, they weren’t packed well and on top of that, my mail guy dropped them from waist high onto my porch, despite them being labeled “fragile”. I candled each eggs to look for smaller cracks. And I have this one. Is this egg worth hatching? Or is the membrane broken? There is no crack in the shell itself.

Attachments

• IMG_5198.jpeg
    IMG_5198.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 39
:welcome:welcome:welcome

I personally would not hatch that. However, I have heard of stories where people hatched chicks from eggs that had basically shattered, so it's probably up to you if you want to chance it.

@Kiki, what do you think of this?

So I am hatching eggs for this first time. These are quail, not chicken, but figured I’d ask here.
The shipment I got 15/27 eggs were broken, they weren’t packed well and on top of that, my mail guy dropped them from waist high onto my porch, despite them being labeled “fragile”. I candled each eggs to look for smaller cracks. And I have this one. Is this egg worth hatching? Or is the membrane broken? There is no crack in the shell itself.
You can put a coat of nail polish over it and try, if you want. Just know that it's likely to go bad. But it definitely won't develop if you decide to pass on it. Those eggs I've noticed do actually have cracks, they're just so small that they don't really show up without a light.

I'd set it if it wasn't cracked and just watch it closely to make sure to remove it quickly if it isn't fertile or quits.

Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in your bator?
Do you have a salt tested humidity gauge in it?
If not...get them tomorrow.

DO NOT trust the reading of the temp or humidity on your bator.

I would not toe nail polish it or wax it if it were mine.

:welcome:welcome:welcome

I personally would not hatch that. However, I have heard of stories where people hatched chicks from eggs that had basically shattered, so it's probably up to you if you want to chance it.

@Kiki, what do you think of this?
I like a good underdog story, I figure I’ll candle in a week and see. I did mark it with a small piece of tape

I'd set it if it wasn't cracked and just watch it closely to make sure to remove it quickly if it isn't fertile or quits.

Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in your bator?
Do you have a salt tested humidity gauge in it?
If not...get them tomorrow.

DO NOT trust the reading of the temp or humidity on your bator.
I did mark it and will check in a week to see if there’s development.
Also have a govee or whatever additionally in there. I did salt test and both humidity levels are pretty much the same. I also stuck my prob meat thermometer on there to make sure. Surprisingly they’re all reading the same! But I’d hope so for a $200 incubator lol Nurture right seems good so far

You can put a coat of nail polish over it and try, if you want. Just know that it's likely to go bad. But it definitely won't develop if you decide to pass on it. Those eggs I've noticed do actually have cracks, they're just so small that they don't really show up without a light.
I got refunded for these eggs so I’m not too worried if I lose any, I also have 50 others in a separate incubator. I wouldn’t be surprised about the crack being microscopic. I don’t have clear nail polish so I’ll probably leave it and check after a week for development

Back
Top Bottom