Okay... I'm freaking out a bit...

They will be fine!!

1. Bring a larger box to put their transport box into. This will allow them air, but will minimize side drafts. And can cover or partially cover the top with a towel to minimize drafts. Or simply bring a sheet/towel/drop cloth to surround their carrier to eliminate drafts.

2. You could take a few min before leaving to provide them food/water before leaving. But, this is not a great option off you would be stdd add bring in the cold doing this.

3. A hand warmer or two will help as others have mentioned.

We pick up chicks from 1.5 hours away. Typically we wrap the carrier and partially cover it. Leaving air holes, but also darkness. The chick generally handle the drive well, and the low light helps them to know it’s time to settle down. The wake up and cheep if there is a bump or jostling from the car, but settle down quickly.

Enjoy your new chicks!!

Gotta say I'm a little jealous you get to pick them up. I have to have my geese shipped this summer even though the hatchery is about 3 hours away. Seems like such an unnecessary risk to ship them overnight.

Congrats on your soon-to-be new chicks!
They are being super cautious about the bird flu, so I can't go to the hatchery, they sent them over to Tractor Supply... 😳

So, after a long night of tossing and turning... We are getting ready to head out. The plan for the ride home? My heat pad for my starter plants (it has a thermostat)!!! I got my cats cage out, lined it with paper towels and I'll put a towel in between the heating pad and the cage. My husband has an inverter for his lunch box, so I'll steal that and plug it in the back seat. First problem down!! I'll get them home and settled and worry about the rest later! Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!! That's why I love this group!!!
PS!! Stay tuned for cute chick pics!!!! 🥰

I expect they will be fine, but checking with a thermometer may reassure you.

If one area is always "too cold" and another area is always "too hot," the chicks can always find somewhere comfortable in the middle.

If you are expecting the outdoor temperature to change drastically, I would try to have the side away from the lamp be nice and cool (below 70 but above 32.) Under the lamp should be at least 90 degrees, but up to 100 or so is fine. (Note: if the entire brooder is 100 degrees, you will have dead chicks from overheating. But it is fine to have a small area at 100 degress, that they can walk in and out of.)

Note, I gave temperatures in Fahrenheit. For Celsius, I would want the cool side below 20 but above 0, the warmest spot between 32 and 38. Those numbers are approximate, not precise limits.)
I topped the bedding with straw. Should I take that out if I am going to have that heat lamp that close? That's all I have ever used, but now, I am reading about all the 🔥 and it has me nervous!! I tested it last night, said the temp under the lamp was 80, and 60 across the pool.

I topped the bedding with straw. Should I take that out if I am going to have that heat lamp that close? That's all I have ever used, but now, I am reading about all the 🔥 and it has me nervous!! I tested it last night, said the temp under the lamp was 80, and 60 across the pool.
Straw does not catch fire at 100 degrees or any similar temperature that is safe for chicks.

Temperature of 60 on the cold side is fine.
For the warm side, I would definitely try for warmer than 80, so yes you'll have to lower the lamp.
Or you could add a second heat lamp right next to the first one. That will raise the temperature in that area, but also provide a backup in case one lamp goes out.

Something I've noticed-- the lower I put the lamp, the smaller the heated area. So putting the lamp lower makes one area hotter, but lets the far side be even cooler. Raising the lamp will cool the space right underneath, but warms a larger total area. This is generally not a problem, just an observation.

The plan for the ride home? My heat pad for my starter plants (it has a thermostat)!!! I got my cats cage out, lined it with paper towels and I'll put a towel in between the heating pad and the cage. My husband has an inverter for his lunch box, so I'll steal that and plug it in the back seat. First problem down!!
Are you planning to sit the shipping box inside the cat cage?
Because I would NOT take the chicks out of the shipping box until you get them home.

I always use heat lamps. Some of the hatcheries are insisting on it for the first 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom