Okay, I'm Nervous

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sourland, May 30, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Haha! My dad is the same exact way every time we go away. Lately my parents have been going on vacation while I'm home so I can take care of the animals, but it never EVER fails that something goes wrong while we/they are away. Last year they went to California. I was working full time and one day I got home and the horses had knocked down a bunch of fence boards. I learned how to fix that real quick! LOL I think it's more difficult going away when you don't have a family member looking after your animals. No one really knows how to care for them quite like you do!

Heck, it worries me just to leave my gecko and my fish in someone else's care. I can't even imagine how I will feel should I ever get larger animals of my own!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Sourland never nervous? [​IMG] The Princess told our doctor that she thought I needed anti anxiety meds. His reply, "George causes anxiety. He doesn't need meds."

Pet caretaker who has worked with us for years will be in charge, but it's not ME.

Purportedly the Princess's great grandmother was a Gypsy queen if there is such a thing. On other trips we have encountered Gypsies and they are intrigued by my wife asking if she is Gypsy? [​IMG] We won't even venture into her ability to read my mind [​IMG], and to a certain degree foretell events.

Stories to tell- absolutely. More of "Elaine and George's great adventures." For some reason, I seem to attract wierdos. I just can't understand why. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Now I'm gonna have some fun, make you even twitchier and nervous! [​IMG] Hi buddy! Hi Princess!

I worked as a pet sitter/caretaker for some 12-14? years, most of it as the owner. Everything I line out below is from actual experience- most pet sitters are very good and dead on honest! One bad apple can ruin another pet sitter's day though. [​IMG] It's hard work! I assume you got references. Make sure they have your daughter's numbers and she has theirs.

Make sure the pet caretaker has a signed document, as part of the contract, stating that she/he has authorization to take any ill/injured pets to your vet of choice or the nearest emergency clinic and that YOU will be responsible for paying fees incurred upon your return. Or your daughter can pay, if the need should arise.

Make sure the petsitter knows NOT to bring anyone else in your house. If company is needed, the other person can stay in the car. Have a neighbor observe, to make sure the sitter is coming the specified number of times daily, and not rolling in after a hard night partying, to crash in your hot tub or take a nap.

Unplug/disconnect all TVs, computers, etc. No need for them to linger overly long. Hide all jewelry, valuables and booze. If you give out the code to a security system, change it asap when you return. It never hurts to imply that your have a few hidden cameras around..... [​IMG]

Be sure the pet sitter knows if any service people will be coming in. I once chased a dog for hours through bitter cold. Turns out there was someone coming to work on some shed stuff and they didn't tell me. The guy didn't close the gate. Christmas Eve, bitter cold and I'm out chasing a TAGLESS dog all over.

If you have a chance, leave your sitter a plate of cookies and something cold to drink. They'll really appreciate it. OH! LOL, make sure the guest bath has toilet paper! Petsitters have to go, too, ya know!

But don't worry, most company owners will check on their employess from time to time. I always provided a sign in sheet, with time and any notes about pets to be entered. The customers really appreciated the funny notes when they got back.

Are you shaking in your boots yet? [​IMG] Really, it will be fine and you all will have a wonderful vacation. Have you been to Europe as a vacation before?

4. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    "Pet caretaker who has worked with us for years will be in charge"

NOW you tell me! [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Have fun.

Imp is jealous.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Good, Sourland goes on vacation and I get a break from broodies! [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Have fun!!! Take lots of pics!!
    Hopefully your wife wont run away with a gypsey caravan.... [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

That sounds awful to me, to tell the truth. I will not leave my mountain. Nope, no way. Hate to travel. Was nerve-wracking enough just to spend two days in Kentucky with a friend when my DH was staying home and caring for the animals. I don't ever want to see any other place, no desire. Hope you have fun, though. I'd have a nervous breakdown and they'd have to fly (gulp, I hate flying!) me home after two days. I'm sure all that didn't help your nerves, now did it? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Not at all! It just means they won't speak English as well! [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Not at all! It just means they won't speak English as well! [​IMG]

[​IMG] And you'll need to serve them beer in steins..and sour kraut...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: