Okay... Now what?

tadyergey

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Nokesville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
One of my Production Red hens went broody a few days ago. I got 6 fertilized eggs from a friend and did the switch about an hour ago.

Will she turn them by herself?

Some people separate the broody hen and eggs, and others leave them in with the general population. I am leaning toward the latter. What do I do for lockdown?

I plan on removing the chicks as they hatch and move to a brooder, but I can be persuaded otherwise. What are the pros and cons of keeping them with their "momma" or removing them?

Thanks in advance!

So... my broodie is sitting on 6 fertilized eggs (2 Americauna, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orp, 1 Black Australorp and a surprise. Yesterday was day 5 so I candled. It looks like all are viable... Just worried she's not eating and drinking enough. Since I am leaving her in the general population I cannot confirm she is leaving them to eat, drink and have her morning constitution.

Any pointers?

check the nest box for added eggs. make sure there is some kind of food avalible when she gets up. same with water. and there will be poop in the nest if she isn't leaving it. not a good thing so don't place food and water right next to the nest. this encourgers her to not leave the nest for the whole 21 days which is not good for her muscles.

Been moving her every evening to get the eggs that the other girls laid on top of her (She is sitting in the most popular of my 6 nest boxes), and she seems to be doing just fine. Candled the eggs and all 6 are viable! But alas, last night I went out and another hen is sitting there in the same box, feathers ruffled being all broodie. What gives?

I'm hoping that when the eggs hatch, they'll both snap out of it. Thoughts?

Well, you can either leave them be to raise their babies or toss the newcomer out. She may or may not stay broody so it's up to you if you give her her own eggs to hatch or not.

Day 15 and all is well... What should I be doing to get ready for the hatch? My nest box is about 2 feet off the floor, will the fuzzies stay in the box or will they "drop" and live on the floor? I would like to keep them in with the general population.

Back
Top Bottom