Okay, showing my newbieness with this question

Liltritter

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Apple Valley, Ca
My roo, is a Cochran, my hens consist of ( thank you to everyone here who helped me id them) A golden laced polish, 4 EE, A delaware, a Barred Rock, RIR, Silver-Laced Wyandotte and a Black Australorp. The new chicks are RIR , EE and another Wyandotte I Believe. And as god is my witness I will find one of those chocolate egg layers :)

The EE that are laying are giving me light greenish eggs with a slight blue tent and I am getting brown from the rest.
I dont think the polish has laid yet as I have not found any white eggs.

The question: Since my roo is the Cochran, if I get a broody hen what the heck would I end up with chick and egg wise from my group. I guess what I need to know is do I let her hatch what she wants , or should I use a brooody hen (when I get one) to hatch replacement eggs I buy off here. I'm just looking for eggs from my ladies, not meat.... as it sits now they will die of a ripe old age rather then stew pot (no heart for that).

not sure what u get. thats the fun part! i have mutts from my cochin and their looks are a mix of each some more like mom or dad. iwould imagine the eggs would be the same way but dont know

Ya, you're going to have barnyard mixes, with possible green egg layers from the EEs (more EEs). Cochins usually lay light brown eggs so with your roo the pullets hatched from the brown/tinted/white egg layers would lay brown shades, the EEs maybe green (depending on if the hens carry 1 or 2 genes for color, half or all). Chicks will probably have feathers on their feet. If you are looking for future egg layers though, a cochin roo would not be my first choice as a father. Cochins don't lay that well, they tend to go broody often, so his pullets would not lay as well as most of the hens you have.

Last edited:
Good question there granny hatchet, am pretty sure most crested chickens were born to be blond :) Sultans are white egg layers, brown is dominant over white so you will get lighter brown eggs from your brown egg layers, white/tinted from your polish, and possibly green/blue from your EE. You should get feathers on the feet and head crests, just not as much as dad. Color wise, sultans are on the list of breeds with recessive white, so you should get a mix of colors. Sultans don't set much, but they are also poor layers and lay little eggs, again not a rooster I would pick if I wanted egg layers out of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom