Okay so really need advice

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Okay, so I meet this person that I don't believe is giving her little ones chick starter and it is really affecting the growth of her birds. I think maybe she thinks she can't afford to buy both layer and chick starter. So if you knew someone that was only gonna buy one kind of feed for her little ones and babies which, kind would you suggest she feed them. Should I tell her to get game bird food because, it has more protein so the babies would grow or should I suggest her to give everyone chick starter until her babies are big enough to eat layer food? Than just tell her not to eat the eggs until they are off chick starter. I know this is not ideal I am just trying to find a suggestion to help improve the life of these little birds. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Michelle
idunno.gif

I would tell her to get layer crumbles because they are the cheapest and then tell her to mash the crumbles for the little ones. This hands on attention may be what she needs to experience in order to appreciate the needs of the little ones.

I think she might be just feeding everyone layer food already and the babies are not growing because of it. So I am thinking she might need to feed them all something with a higher protein feed.

Quote:

Sure I wouldn't mind getting them a bag of chick starter. That doesn't really solve the problem though. Once that is gone I am sure she will only be feeding everyone layer food again. I need to tell her one kind of food that will give the babies what they need to grow. I really think that is the only way she will continue to give the babies what they need is if she can give everyone the same thing. As I said I know this is not ideal but, I really feel sorry for those babies and they need food that will make them grow. Pleaaaassssseeeee help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't afford to buy them chick starter all the time.

Quote:

Layer feed likely has extra calcium that could harm the chicks. Unmedicated starter feed would have no negative effect on the eggs laid by the hens.
If the prices are the same I would feed the starter feed and provide calcium for the hens separately.

Where would she get unmedicated starter feed? I know I have been looking for organic for my birds and that is not easy to find. Is unmedicated easier to find?

Quote:

I think the protien level is the same. If they buy one bag then layer crumbles would be my choice (I buy chick starter) chickens would poop out what little excess protien they get.

If the chicks are not growing right it is more likely from the texture/size of the pellets than the difference between layer and chick starter which is minimal.
Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom