Okay without heat?

Slowtown

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2018
Arizona
Hi, I need some second opinions; I hatched my first batch of eggs on 4th of July (so about a week old). They’re set up in my closet and currently have a heat lamp but I can’t get any sleep because of how hot it gets. I have a dog that won’t take too kindly to them so they can’t go anywhere else in the house. I live in Arizona and temperature rise to about 110°-115° everyday and I keep the house at 80°-85°, so it isn’t that cool and the walls heat up like a toaster. My closet is the warmest room and is about 5° hotter than the bedroom. Can they go without the heat lamp? It hangs pretty far away from them and when I go in in the morning to take them out and clean, I find them panting a little and that bugs me a bit. Last night I kept the lamp off to see what’d happen and it didn’t seem to bother them, no huddling or shivering. Thoughts?

If it’s as hot as you’re saying, I don’t think they’d need a heat lamp. For 1 week olds around 90 is good. We have hens hatching and raising chicks, and you’ll be surprised at how much of the time they aren’t even under the hen and are totally fine! Hope this helps :)

Try to see what the temp is like in the brooder with a thermometer without the lamp on, if they are panting they are hot and no huddling or loud chirps means they are fine summer chicks in AZ rarely neat heat for long

You should stop over to the az thread in the... where are you? forum where there are lots of friendly users with lots of chick raising experience that could help as well :welcome

I have removed heat sources by 7 days from chicks that i raise and the night time temps are low seventies. They will thank you for removing the heat source, most certainly.

Back
Top Bottom