***OKIES in the BYC III ***

The lizards we where keeping died today my dog killed all four of them. And he let me attach to them for a couple weeks until he killed them one of them had eggs coming out of her injured side but she died soon after. But we reeleased four of them yesterday so maybe the population still has a chance I hate my dog now he vomits every day runs away every Sunday and kills everything in sight that I love even baby birds. But what made me angry was that he killed one that had a clutch of eggs. I gess I should have known better not to trust him and to not of just put chicken wire on top with rocks!
But they needed sun. They where eating at least eating 10 grass hoppers a day. The lizards are even supposed to get rid of Lyme sickness. I am just so sad.

Last edited:
Yes, I might like him or Jack would. He lost one of his Blue roos last week. I will ask him or think about where I can put him. Would you like a Wheaten Ameraucana pullet?
A wheaton pullet would be awesome. I also have a Splash Ameracauna roo that needs to go too but I wasn't sure if you would be interested. I will take pics of both tomorrow.

Got 2 checks in the mail today from Newcastle sale. Hopefully anyone else who is waiting gets there soon. Not sure if Taron will have keets for the next sale, she had several people stop by this wk since the grasshoppers are so bad guineas are in demand!
Tomatoes are also in demand, I get 2 or 3 people a day stop by or call. So far we have eaten all we have picked. Did sell some green ones today though.

Everybody hold on a few more days, cooler weather is coming soon!!!! Neighbor found 3 dead grown cows in his pasture. He isn't sure how many days they have been there, but thinks they were ran & heat stressed. They were all 3 together. So far my birds are all making it, but they do have a swamp cooler to help them stay cool.

i am sure my big cold breed puppy and two thick hair cats (one is short hair, the other long hair) will love me again once our AC is fixed next week.. it works, just not well at all. we have a brand new outside AC unit. but still need to do the indoor heating unit... it works great in the winter, but cannot keep up in the summer.. soooo until next week, we will all be agitated and moody, and our animals will continue to melt.. LOL our animals are such drama queens, but i am sure they are not liking it at all. our cats can go outside as they please, but the puppy cannot. our neighbors would kill us if she was outside all the time, because she constantly barks to come back inside if left outside by herself.. she is a mommys dog (my dog) as i am the one who has always taken care of her since we got her, and protected her from the wrath of dad (DH) when she did something she shouldnt of done, but didnt get caught until after it was too late to actually scold her.. okay my rambling is done, just wanted to pop in. everyone stay hydrated and safe in this heat...
this was posted on facebook, a good way to cool down without breaking the bank

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Cheap-Air-Conditioner/

Thanks for sharing the link....some thoughts: The little cooling unit is a good idea for a small area...tent, etc. A battery powered fan versus electricity makes it easy to transport. Frozen bottles could be refrozen and might last longer if a small regular cooler was used. For use inside, using ice from your home freezer to replenish the box might be counterproductive as your freezer generates heat in making ice. But good idea if you are just cooling the air where someone is sitting.

Kassaundra and Poco Polo you might be interested in pages 84 - 88 on Caponizing in this book . Once you get to the link, scroll back to the index. click on the caponizing section and you will jump to that section.
AMERICAN FOWL-BREEDER; CONTAINING FULL INFORMATION
ON BREEDING, REARING, DISEASES, AND MANAGEMENT OF
DOMESTIC POULTRY; ALSO, INSTRUCTIONS CONCERNING THE CHOICE OF
PURE STOCK, CROSSING, CAPONIZING, etc. WITH ENGRAVING8.

BY AN ASSOCIATION OF PRACTICAL BREEDERS.
BOSTON: JOHN P. JEWETT AND COMPANY.

pages 23 thru 27.
http://tinyurl.com/myk4ht3

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the link....some thoughts: The little cooling unit is a good idea for a small area...tent, etc. A battery powered fan versus electricity makes it easy to transport. Frozen bottles could be refrozen and might last longer if a small regular cooler was used. For use inside, using ice from your home freezer to replenish the box might be counterproductive as your freezer generates heat in making ice. But good idea if you are just cooling the air where someone is sitting.

Kassaundra and Poco Polo you might be interested in pages 84 - 88 on Caponizing in this book . Once you get to the link, scroll back to the index. click on the caponizing section and you will jump to that section.

pages 23 thru 27.
Thank you for the link. I've read snippets of this on another website. I'm happy to be able to read the document all the way through.

What does everyone use for mites in coops? I will be at Atwoods later so can pick something up then. Just want to make sure it is bird friendly.
I mix Permethryn with water a little strong, remove the birds from the coop spray the roosts, walls, and bottoms well to soak it down allow it to dry them re-populate the pen. Its a good time to dip the birds as well. it really helps with both mites and the heat. The other nice part about the dip is it helps keep moisture in the feather so there are fewer discolored stress marks.

pages 23 thru 27.
Thanks I'll take a look after a nap when I won't be so brain dead.

Back
Top Bottom