***OKIES in the BYC III ***

My mommas and their babies!

Cool pics.

Spent today caponizing 11 of my chicks at Coral's, all 11 are still alive, but I know I have 4 slips, everyone I picked out as male was in fact male so woo hoo success on two fronts.

Coral thanks for all your help and moral support.

Good morning all! Well, our little chicks are now 10 weeks old and it has been a real learning experience.
smile.png
Anita has spoiled them rotten. They go crazy when she opens the back door and can't wait to jump in her lap. LOL! We have a pair of Welsummers, 2 EE, 3 Blue Silkies, and 1 White Silkie. All are Bantams, and all have their own personalities. We love them all.

Are any of you doing anything different for your chicks in this heat? I'm going to put frozen bottles of water in their water today to help keep it cool. Maybe that will help. Their coops aren't under shade trees, but they can stay in the shade under the roof and roosting part of their coops.

Here is a question for anyone who might know. If you hatch eggs from a EE hen and a Welsummer Rooster, what do you get (other than a chicken)? Would it be an EE that laid colored eggs, or a cross that laid brown eggs? And, a Blue Silkie to a White Silkie? Do you get a Splash Silkie, or just a cross between blue and white.

Oh, we have so much to learn, but are really having fun doing it!

Y'all keep a smile on yer face and have a GREAT DAY!

P.S. The grandkids LOVE our chickens!
smile.png

My poor black EE pullet isn't looking any better, today was day 4 of Tylan shot, 1/2 CC in the breast muscle. She did attempt to open her eye this morning. It looks like more than swelling around the eye, the actual eyeball is inflamed. I am worried that if she recovers she will be blind in that eye. I will try to get a picture later today to show. I thought I had some tetracycline powder but it was bad (hard in the bag from humidity) so I've had to stick with Gallimycin. I started yesterday rubbing some triple antibiotic ointment in and around her eye, twice yesterday and once so far today. I don't know what else to try, I will try to get out today to get some Tetracycline powder but I've got 2 kids with Strep since last Friday so it is difficult to get out....
Looking at the photo of the swelling, it looks like there is something white under the second eyelid near the front of the eye. You can gently express that by applying pressure under the eye and towards the front. It should slip out. The fluids in the eye will harden when there is an infection. I took a Cochin cockerel to an avian vet a few years ago to have the junk removed under anesthesia because it had accumulated behind the eye and hardened. He found 5 pieces that looked similar to chunks of peanuts. Popeye continued to have the condition and I routinely cleaned out his eye. You can see the eye in the first picture..swollen. and in the later photo, you can see that the skin is permanently stretched and droops slightly. The only other suggestion I could make is crush a Benedryl tablet and give 1/3 of the powder in yogurt. As an antihistamine, it should help with the swelling like a spider bite.

Here is a question for anyone who might know. If you hatch eggs from a EE hen and a Welsummer Rooster, what do you get (other than a chicken)? Would it be an EE that laid colored eggs, or a cross that laid brown eggs? And, a Blue Silkie to a White Silkie? Do you get a Splash Silkie, or just a cross between blue and white.

Yep, they will be EEs, although not necessarily lay a colored egg, it depends on which egg genes it gets. The EE hen could have one blue egg gene or two. If two, all offspring will get it. if one, then only half the offspring will get it. If the offspring gets the blue egg gene from the hen, your chicks will grow up to lay green eggs. If it doesn't, they will lay brown eggs, probably lighter in color than the Weslummers.
Looking at the photo of the swelling, it looks like there is something white under the second eyelid near the front of the eye. You can gently express that by applying pressure under the eye and towards the front. It should slip out. The fluids in the eye will harden when there is an infection. I took a Cochin cockerel to an avian vet a few years ago to have the junk removed under anesthesia because it had accumulated behind the eye and hardened. He found 5 pieces that looked similar to chunks of peanuts. Popeye continued to have the condition and I routinely cleaned out his eye. You can see the eye in the first picture..swollen. and in the later photo, you can see that the skin is permanently stretched and droops slightly. The only other suggestion I could make is crush a Benedryl tablet and give 1/3 of the powder in yogurt. As an antihistamine, it should help with the swelling like a spider bite.

THANK YOU!

Thanks everybody for your opinions on my EE hen. She is looking much better today, I think the triple antibiotic cream is working better than anything else. I will stop at the feed store today and look for Vetricin. There is quite a nodular lump between her eye and her nose, I massaged it today and managed to get a little cheesy white gunk to work out from under the eyelid on that side. It was obviously painful for her so I stopped after I got a little out (about pea size total). Hopefully the swelling will be down even more tomorrow and I will be able to work more of it out. I will definitely try giving her some benadryl. I think if the swelling went down a little more I could get more out.

Cool pics.

Spent today caponizing 11 of my chicks at Coral's, all 11 are still alive, but I know I have 4 slips, everyone I picked out as male was in fact male so woo hoo success on two fronts.

Coral thanks for all your help and moral support.
Kass - It was great to have you here. I learned a lot about my limitations: I'm not steely enough to caponize a bird in front of its owners. Now that I know that about myself, I can keep working. I hope you enjoy the CD and the tools as much as I have. I'm in awe of the operators on the CD.

Jen - It was wonderful to meet you. I hope our swap works well for you.

Rick & Dallas - I sent you a lengthy PM. Thank you : )

Good morning everyone, haven't been on in a while. I hope everyone is doing good as are your flocks. I would imagine by now everyone has larger flocks going with hatching season having come to a close and those little fuzzy things turning well on their way to full fledged chickens.
I plan to continue hatching some Columbian OE through the remainder of the season to get some numbers to work with this fall but have brought the Birchen Rosecomb project to hatching halt till the next generation is ready to go into production. I have been quite pleased with this years results which should make next years much better.
I am also stopped on Birchen and Silver Blue OEGB but the eggs are still rolling in, so if anyone is interested in some I can make them available, just hate to see them go to waste after seeing what comes from these breeder pens this year.
It is time to start spending more time and attention on the young birds for the upcoming show season to prevent feather damage and stress marks in the developing feathers. That is always a chore in the heat but worth the efforts when the shows start back up.

Well it may be a while till I make it back on but would like to wish everyone a good week and summer season, it sure gets busy around and never at a loss of things to do.

Oh, we have so much to learn, but are really having fun doing it!

Y'all keep a smile on yer face and have a GREAT DAY!

P.S. The grandkids LOVE our chickens!
smile.png
A EE crossed with a brown egg layer will make an Olive Egger. The eggs are olive or khaki colored.

I have Wheater Ameraucana hens and a Wheater Marans cockerel. Think I might try to make some Wheaten OEs. I also have a Blue Marans hen. Maybe I can borrow my neighbor's Blue Ameraucana roo and make some Blue OEs.

Back
Top Bottom