***OKIES in the BYC III ***

yes- when we first got them, Buddy the black one did kill a cockerel, and tried to defeather a orpington, took some real work with them- but now Buddy and tinkerbell are trustworthy, not with cattle- can't seem to get through to them on that, so they rotate, always one loose-

so i will be worming- looks like tapewom, so safeguard should clear that up?

yes- when we first got them, Buddy the black one did kill a cockerel, and tried to defeather a orpington, took some real work with them- but now Buddy and tinkerbell are trustworthy, not with cattle- can't seem to get through to them on that, so they rotate, always one loose-

so i will be worming- looks like tapewom, so safeguard should clear that up?
i wouldn't even know where to start but i wish i could train scout not to hurt the birds and stop chasing the cats and goats. Buddy looks kind of like junebug my old dog that past away recently.

we got scout after she passed she was so sweet with all the other animals.

Last edited:
Beautiful day for Christmas with the family. Roger fixed up a little trailer with square bales for a hay ride behind the Ranger. even the dogs went for the ride. We had fixings for nachos, tacos and barritos so the teens could fix what they wanted.
Showed the little boys the chicks inside the eggs from the incubator...The four year old kept wanted to go check the eggs in the "rocker"...another name for egg turner. "I love it" was his response when his Mom asked why? Think we have an addicted hatcher toddler.

Well, what i did was took each one out on a leash when the flock was free ranging, everytime they showed aggression i'd tell them no, encouraged their good behavior, then they were also chained next to the run and eventually they relaxed around the chickens, then for a little bit each day one was on the leash with me in the run, or coop. Over time they relaxed, but it took alot of one on one

My mother tried to tell me my dog would kill the chickens. Nobody will ever convince me that would happen. Best. Dog. Ever.

We were concerned about our Border Collie when we got the chickens, because he has killed chickens before (a friends birds). We just scolded him every time he looked at them with interest and now he goes right in the run or the birds in his yard with no problem at all!!!

So....if I got white ameraucanas, would anybody be interested in them??
ya.gif
Me! Me! Me! Pick Me!!! hehehe! Sent you a PM

A fan in your bedroom should create enough background white noise that you don't notice as much.
I used a sound machine but now hearing roosters crowing is kind of soothing because I know if they are crowing all is well in my chickens' world..

Anyone know when the next Newcastle auction is?
I believe the next auction is Saturday the 4th..

What are the odds you would bring up that name when just today Mikaela said she would try to find his contact info for me. I heard he has Minorcas. Is there any chance you could send me some way to contact me, or send him a request to contact me? Pleeeeeeease?!?!?!
I have Larry's contact information and the information of all the people showing cochins at the show.. I bought a list and marked the breeders I was interested in seeing.

Has anyone ordered or delt with Welp hatchery out of Iowa? They have the Giant Cochins. Just wanting to see what exsperiences you might have had with them, good or bad. Thanks
smile.png
Welp hatchery is not bad for service and the chicks are okay.. I lost most of them within the first two weeks.. Hatchery birds are no where near breeder quality, but if you are looking for breeder quality. Also remember you cannot pick color of the birds you order. I googled hatcheries and Stromberg also sells cochins and you can chose the color from barred, black, blue and buff.

were you wanting eggs or chicks? I ordered mine from a breeder in GA - eggs- beautiful birds-
Very nice, I would like the contact information of the breeder, she is a great looking bird.

hey guys- been doing some research on tapeworm- is the dosage for safeguard 3 cc per gallon of water?
Have you considered going a more natural route with worming?? I use diatomaceous earth and crushed red pepper, like the kind you put on pizza, every couple of months to worm my birds. The DE is also a wonderful source of calcium and the peppers raise their body temp which is helpful in the winter time.. The additional benefit is you can still eat the eggs...

Update on Uno the guinea fowl.. I let him out of the cage this morning. He ate with everyone and follows the girls around. He has gotten within a foot of me when the girls come circle me looking for handouts. He roosted with them this evening.

Well, what i did was took each one out on a leash when the flock was free ranging, everytime they showed aggression i'd tell them no, encouraged their good behavior, then they were also chained next to the run and eventually they relaxed around the chickens, then for a little bit each day one was on the leash with me in the run, or coop. Over time they relaxed, but it took alot of one on one
hummm maybe a leash is the key? every time he chases a cat i yell no stop don't do that and he just ignores me and keeps on running. lol My dogs live out doors 24/7 i rarely have a leash on them. my coup and run are in between our show goat pen and our show pig pen it is kind of in an ally way i close the gate behind me when i go in to care for the chickens and if i don't wire it he will push through the gate when i go in the coup as long as i don't go in the coup or in the run he stays outside but if i put on toe in he come running and the he stands there and stares at the chickens.
If i'm not around and the chickens are out in there pen and the gate is closed he never goes in there by himself. I think he thinks he has to protect me from every thing lol.

here is what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom