***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Okay y'all I have a situation and I want to know if y'all could figure out what was wrong. I got about 8 Silkie chicks (born on thanksgiving) from a breeder in TN since I'm up here, about a week and a half ago. Slowly I have been loosing chicks. The first day I got them two died, they were acting slow, whining, and wouldn't eat or drink. I was giving them the poly vit sol (without iron) to try and save them but eventually they passed away. The next few days one blue Silkie chick started acting the same, started by crying a lot... Then would fall on it's side and not get up. To make the story short ALL of the chicks up to today have done the same thing. The vitamins don't work, they have medicated feed, I've even tried the sugar water... And nothing. And by no means am I new to chick rearing and I am used to a few lethargic chicks here and there but this is crazy!!!! I am only down to one chick as the last of the two died yesterday. What could be the cause??

Note: I have heat lamps, good temperature, clean water, no pasty buts, chicks will be perfectly happy one day then sick the next, medicated (fresh I checked) feed, given vitamins when needed, etc. so basically conditions are good but I am
Just stumped as to what went on with them.

Any ideas? The only chick left seems super healthy today and not any signs of illness yet

Quote: That is good to know about the eggs not tasting like garlic. I like the idea of the meat having a garlic taste, that would be great, if I could eat it...
droolin.gif

Before that first ice storm we had this month when it got so terribly cold, we had a Bantam EE go broody. Hmmm....She had two eggs and I ended up putting two more Silkie eggs with her. We really didn't think she could hatch them in all that bad weather. She is in just a small 4 chicken coop. Anyway, as of this morning we have 2 half Bantam EE and half Bantam Welsummer, and 1 full Blue Silkie in our livingroom.
thumbsup.gif
And she is still hatching a half Blue and half White Silkie egg. These are our very first eggs to ever hatch and we are really excited. LOL! The 3 little ones are already eating and drinking and seem to be doing great! Looks like it's going to be a fun day.
clap.gif
On your new babies!!
Okay y'all I have a situation and I want to know if y'all could figure out what was wrong. I got about 8 Silkie chicks (born on thanksgiving) from a breeder in TN since I'm up here, about a week and a half ago. Slowly I have been loosing chicks. The first day I got them two died, they were acting slow, whining, and wouldn't eat or drink. I was giving them the poly vit sol (without iron) to try and save them but eventually they passed away. The next few days one blue Silkie chick started acting the same, started by crying a lot... Then would fall on it's side and not get up. To make the story short ALL of the chicks up to today have done the same thing. The vitamins don't work, they have medicated feed, I've even tried the sugar water... And nothing. And by no means am I new to chick rearing and I am used to a few lethargic chicks here and there but this is crazy!!!! I am only down to one chick as the last of the two died yesterday. What could be the cause??

Note: I have heat lamps, good temperature, clean water, no pasty buts, chicks will be perfectly happy one day then sick the next, medicated (fresh I checked) feed, given vitamins when needed, etc. so basically conditions are good but I am
Just stumped as to what went on with them.

Any ideas? The only chick left seems super healthy today and not any signs of illness yet
Okay first let me start by saying I don't know the breeder or anything like that but sometimes you just get weak chicks.. It could be genetics or something in the hatching process.. I have gotten chicks from people and everyone of them crocked in a few days.. Sometimes it just happens that way.. Sorry about your babies!!!
hugs.gif

That is good to know about the eggs not tasting like garlic. I like the idea of the meat having a garlic taste, that would be great, if I could eat it... :drool

:clap On your new babies!!
Okay first let me start by saying I don't know the breeder or anything like that but sometimes you just get weak chicks.. It could be genetics or something in the hatching process.. I have gotten chicks from people and everyone of them crocked in a few days.. Sometimes it just happens that way.. Sorry about your babies!!! :hugs
Aw thank you! I was thinking it had to do something with genetics maybe because I couldn't think of anything I personally did wrong. And they only had to travel about 20 miles to make it to my house so it's not that the trip was super stressful. But the GOOD news is she is replacing all the lost chicks, so hopefully those won't kick the bucket

Anyone here in Oklahoma have any Pumpkin Hulseys. I would really be interested in buying some eggs or chicks, even some grown birds. Ive ordered eggs several times and had horrible luck. If anyone one has them a little closer to home that would be great.

Trying to remember who mentioned Pumpkin Hulsey earlier this year...might have been Graybear...may have been his son's birds...

The eggs due Monday are already hatching as I thought they might. two out, three pipped so far. The two out are Columbian Wyandotte and Blue Columbian.

Congratulations on your broody hatch unkljim. If you want the hen to raise them, she will keep them warm if you give them back to her or bring her inside when the baby finishes hatching.

Trying to remember who mentioned Pumpkin Hulsey earlier this year...might have been Graybear...may have been his son's birds...

The eggs due Monday are already hatching as I thought they might. two out, three pipped so far. The two out are Columbian Wyandotte and Blue Columbian.

Congratulations on your broody hatch unkljim. If you want the hen to raise them, she will keep them warm if you give them back to her or bring her inside when the baby finishes hatching.

I thought it was greybear too

And ask Rinda about her ordeal with bacterially infected eggs she got from a breeder. She got eggs that had ecoli passed from the laying hens, and it didn't start killing the chicks until after hatch.

Anyone here in Oklahoma have any Pumpkin Hulseys. I would really be interested in buying some eggs or chicks, even some grown birds. Ive ordered eggs several times and had horrible luck. If anyone one has them a little closer to home that would be great.

Cherokeebirds might. Donna Burns and Sean Clark have big variety of game birds.

Back
Top Bottom