***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I'm not looking at my 5 bator eggs again til morning. Hopefully I'll wake to at least a couple pips. It was not a perfect situation (poor mail order eggs to now), but maybe I'll get lucky. I use a cheap-o forced air incubator from Atwoods. It actually holds temp and humidity quite well, but I have to use a separate digital thermometer and hygrometer. I think the main problem is the turner. The motor adds heat, so when I go into lockdown phase I have to adjust the temp again...makes it tricky. I need to buy another of some sort so I can lockdown in an already temp consistent environment or turn manually. I want a Brinsea, but I'm a cheapskate. Wish me some luck.

I missed it, why did you need something to add to the food coloring?

It takes a while for two flocks to combine, but the two flocks still stay pretty near each other during the day, safety in numbers.
Why do you want to pen them up? Sorry I missed that part!

I have a Cream Legbar that just started laying, and her eggs look almost exactly like my EE's. I was afraid I'd started mixing them up, so I put food coloring on my EE's vent, but it wore off before she laid her egg the next day. Crisco will last through the night.

The first eggs I hatched were Legbars, but the last couple were cute little mixed breeds. As adorable as they are, I don't need more EEs, thus the separate pen for Ella and Einstein.

Please keep this couple in your prayers....

My order for 50# of pickling cucumbers, a bushel of canning tomatoes and 1/2 bushel of jalapenos....came in today too. So I'm running new jars thru the dishwasher and prepping to start the Kosher Dill pickles and the Bread and Butter pickles this evening. Then we will work on the Soup Starter and the Hot Salsa tomorrow.

Moved birds around last night like I hoped. Have a few more to get situated. Babies are hatching under a Delaware Bantam...2 out so far with 4 more to go.

More Serama eggs arrived from North Carolina so will set those tonight. I have a digital thermometer in that incubator and the tempe was reading 95 instead of 99.5 - 100. So that has been fixed. Will give a few of the Serama eggs to a broody OEGB.

Life sometimes has its ups and downs...you just learn to enjoy the rollercoaster ride.
Praying for you SIL.
I cleaned two chicken runs and coops yesterday. Put down some bales of pine shavings too.
What do you do with all those canned veggies?
Yes; life is like the weather, always changing. Sometimes it gets so bad it makes you laugh.
we have had better service with Hughs than we did with Wild Blue- wild blue was a nightmare

are we ready for the first hints of what winter may be this year???

@Loriemarler your little birchin girl is still small but quite a pretty little girl

AaaRrghhhh. I just saw another topic about our Fall Weather. Several possible storms slamming the gulf that may affect Oklahoma.

Please keep this couple in your prayers....Spent the day with the SIL at the treatment facility where her husband  is now residing for detox.  He apparently threw a fit last night, called 911 several times  and escaped thru security locked doors and came up swinging at the staff with his cane.  Looks like the doctor is going to look into dementia along with the other issues he has.  New meds tonight to help him remain calm should help.  He desperately wants to go home, but she can't handle him in this state of mind.  She is just knocked to her knees.  They were childhood sweethearts, married, divorced, spent their adult lives apart and remarried 3 years ago.  So much of his past life is now surfacing.  She wants to do everything she can to bring him home.  They have  long way to go.   

My order for 50# of pickling cucumbers, a bushel of canning tomatoes and 1/2 bushel of jalapenos....came in today too.   So I'm running new jars thru the dishwasher and prepping to start the Kosher Dill pickles and the Bread and Butter pickles this evening.  Then we will work on the Soup Starter and the Hot Salsa tomorrow. 

Moved birds around last night like I hoped.  Have a few more to get situated.  Babies are hatching under a Delaware Bantam...2 out so far with 4 more to go.  
More Serama eggs arrived from North Carolina so will set those tonight.  I have a digital thermometer in that incubator and the tempe was reading 95 instead of 99.5 - 100.  So that has been fixed.  Will give a few of the Serama eggs to a broody OEGB.

Life sometimes has its ups and downs...you just learn to enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

:hugs I hope they get the help they need. And I hope those serama eggs give you lots of hatchlings!

@artsyrobin that birchen is the cutest thing ever! So little and plump :) Is she a bantam cochin? The comb looks a little different but that shape is so darling.

@HeyBigRhondaq I hope you wake to some pipping! :fl How exciting, and sad at the same time. How many made it to lockdown? 5?

@HeyBigRhondaq I hope you wake to some pipping! :fl How exciting, and sad at the same time. How many made it to lockdown? 5?

I don't see any pips just yet, but I can hear faint chirping. I must have at least one pipping internally. I'm going to go drink some coffee and try to get something else done (rather than sitting in my basement staring at a styrofoam box all day). WOOHOO! I have hope!

Welcome to all the newcomers. As you've found, this is the go to place for info. I'm going to cut some persimmons today to see if were having ice or just snow.

I don't see any pips just yet, but I can hear faint chirping. I must have at least one pipping internally. I'm going to go drink some coffee and try to get something else done (rather than sitting in my basement staring at a styrofoam box all day). WOOHOO! I have hope!

Yippee! Fingers crossed!

Welcome to all the newcomers.  As you've found, this is the go to place for info.  I'm going to cut some persimmons today to see if were having ice or just snow.

Can't wait to hear your report!

A Blue-laced Barnie has pipped! I don't even care if it's a boy or girl. I have one of each from Rinda, so I (assuming it makes it way out of the shell and to adulthood) have a pair! Yes, I know I shouldn't be counting my chickens just yet. (I have issues with patience.) Barnevelders are quickly becoming my favorites...gentle, lovely beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom