***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Here are 2 of my 5 ees. I know that 1 I have is a pullet and I'm almost 100% sure another is a roo. They just have the girly/boyish look to them - not pictured!! Now, I have 2 others that look just like #2 in the picture of four only 1 of them has thick legs (I couldn't catch them). Chicken #1 just has its own looks going on. I call him/her raptor because well we all agree that's what s/he looks like lol.

Quote:
Sorry to report this but SPOONS. And the farmers almanac for this year is reporting spoons as well. It was right on last year as in subsequent years. Spoons are for a cold, wet winter. Grab your shovels and load up on firewood.
never known persimmons to be wrong either....and stock up on feed for the chickens too

Im no EE expert but I happen to be an expert on picking out EE roos.
hide.gif
Those 3 look very rooish to me with 3 row combs and splotchy red coloring on their wings. But clear comb shots would help, especially the one on the left in the first picture. Im leaning roo but can't really see the comb.
Check their saddle feathers, the male's should have pointed tips even before they start to grow long.

Here are 2 of my 5 ees. I know that 1 I have is a pullet and I'm almost 100% sure another is a roo. They just have the girly/boyish look to them - not pictured!! Now, I have 2 others that look just like #2 in the picture of four only 1 of them has thick legs (I couldn't catch them). Chicken #1 just has its own looks going on. I call him/her raptor because well we all agree that's what s/he looks like lol.

Those are both boys for sure.

Sorry to report this but SPOONS. And the farmers almanac for this year is reporting spoons as well.  It was right on last year as in subsequent years.  Spoons are for a cold, wet winter.  Grab your shovels and load up on firewood.
darn, but you are right everything is stacking up to a long cold winter.

Does anyone want to part with a hen or two for around $5 each? :D I'm sick of buying eggs, (we're using more than we get right now) but my wife has set the budget around that amount. She wants to discourage my chicken buying, I think. Poor college kid problems.

@Tim K I have two of Rinda's CL boys...very handsome. One has more of a crest than the other, but both are great birds. I have other breeds from her hatching eggs. I've been very pleased.

On my 5 bator eggs...2 have pipped, both Barnevelders, so I'm pleased. The one is zipping around so I expect it out shortly. The other will likely make its way out overnight. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with a few other late hatcher too.

I have three EEs and I'm thinking they are all cockerels. They are about two months old and all have similar thickness of leg. I heard one attempt a crow this morning, but their door was still shut, so I'm not sure who the culprit is. Am I right in thinking I have all boys?
I have no idea but if you figure it out share your secret! I have 5 EEs and I have no clue what they are. They all have male and female "signs". Saddle feathers, thick/thin legs, combs no combs. They've driven me crazy since I got them because I haven't got a clue as to what they are. I'm just waiting on either a crow or an egg. Same with my gold laced wyandottes, I have no clue!
Definitely boys. See the red patches coming in on the wings? EE sexing rule: Red, black, or white patches on the wings or chest tell you that you have a cockerel.
Yes I have Cream Legbars. The "crested" is not part of their proper name. They are beautiful birds! I'm getting better at it. Leg size and comb are best indicators. For females you look for a single row of "peas" generally very flat and close to the head. Males have a taller, redder comb normally with three rows of "peas." Comparing to each other on the legs sometimes you can tell the roos from the hens. In my little chicks, I use spiral legbands- the roos outgrow the bands first every time. Not ALL roos but never a pullet. If you can post a picture of each chicken's head so we can get a look at the comb straight on I can probably tell you. X2. The two are definitely roos, I can't tell for sure on the third that ashtree mentioned but I"m leaning roo, too. Yes. Some chickens are just louder than others, just like people. :D They each have their own personality. And some sing egg song just because they like to sing egg song! And roosters will sing egg song along with the hens, too.
I have a 12 week old ameraucana pullet that was singing and singing and singing the egg song today....no one laid an egg, I wonder if she's in some sort of distress?

Back
Top Bottom