***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Haven't posted in forever, but am looking for a couple duck hens - I am in Muskogee and our poor boy lost his hen, i thought she may have gone broody, but she never came back :(

I Live near Sapulpa / Tulsa Oklahoma. Does anyone know of a Vet that sees Poultry in my area?
I put a hen down last week that couldn't walk and another is sick now, very thin, pail, when she drinks she dips her beak but doesn't tip her head back to take the water down and it just runs back out of her mouth. She is hanging out in the hen house by herself. No problem with sinuses either. Not feeling good. Can I buy a antibiotic anywhere without seeing a vet?

I think you can get it without prescription at Tractor Supply, maybe Atwoods, whichever you have up there. I could be wrong, so you should probably call and ask before going. Last time I used antibiotics, I got some from my mom, who happened to have it on hand.

Just an opinion, if you can afford the vet bill, it would likely be best to see one. Especially if you have a lot of birds, and you aren’t sure what kind of illness you’re dealing with. I’m from OKC, so I don’t know any vets in your area, however, if you call one and they don’t take in chickens, they might know who does. I personally haven’t known many vets to turn away a sick animal. I even took a snake with stargazers disease to the vet before.

Haven't posted in forever, but am looking for a couple duck hens - I am in Muskogee and our poor boy lost his hen, i thought she may have gone broody, but she never came back :(
Robin, did you find some duck hens? You could try messaging Dusti. I don’t have any. If I did, they’d be yours in a heartbeat.

Oh my gosh! I never rehomed my 2 Brahma mix cockerels. This morning I heard a crowing from the run. Not at all what I’d been expecting or worrying about. It was short, soft, gravelly, and actually kind of sweet. Maybe it will get louder later, but for now, I can’t imagine any of the neighbors complaining over it. My hens are louder after an egg is laid. Lol!

Robin, did you find some duck hens? You could try messaging Dusti. I don’t have any. If I did, they’d be yours in a heartbeat.
@artsyrobin did you find those duck hens? Let me know. I have several hens. I was sick in August and dealing with family visiting from California. Just checked the thread tonight.

I Live near Sapulpa / Tulsa Oklahoma. Does anyone know of a Vet that sees Poultry in my area?
I put a hen down last week that couldn't walk and another is sick now, very thin, pail, when she drinks she dips her beak but doesn't tip her head back to take the water down and it just runs back out of her mouth. She is hanging out in the hen house by herself. No problem with sinuses either. Not feeling good. Can I buy a antibiotic anywhere without seeing a vet?
You can find antibiotics under the name Fishbiotics. It is carried by several feed stores and in the fish section at Walmart and Target. It comes in amoxicillin, penicillin and cephalexen with a dosage of 250mg per capsule. You can slide the capsule down the throat. Or open the capsule and mix with water, then use a syringe or eye dropper to drip it inside the side of the beak.

@artsyrobin did you find those duck hens? Let me know. I have several hens. I was sick in August and dealing with family visiting from California. Just checked the thread tonight.
Thanks, no, but currently no way to transport, our transmission is history until dave fixes it, so we are borrowing a vehicle, so the in laws wouldn't want ducks in their car - lol- he seems to be doing ok, i feel sorry for him, he hangs out by the runs for company

Hi Okies! I recently moved to Mcloud, OK and I'm looking for fellow chicken lovers in the Shawnee/Harrah/Eastern OKC area. I would love to find someone that would be interested in "chicken-sitting" while I am on vacation. I would return the favor anytime you go on vacation! I wouldn't expect you to come over all the time, just a couple times during the week. When I leave, I have my chickens set up so they have plenty of food and water for several days, I just want to know someone is checking up on them so I don't worry. I would love to find someone that has some chicken experience.

Also, if you aren't interested in trading, I would be happy to pay someone to come look after my babies.

I have 5 hens and 1 rooster although I will probably be adding more in the future.

Thanks!

Lora

Back
Top Bottom