***OKIES in the BYC III ***

What is Poops ?
POOPS stands for People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap
And Welcome to our OKIE group.

As mentioned a lot of the older members have left or simply lost interest in using BYC. More now use FB or Instagram to communicate.
Life sometimes gets hectic sometimes.

The New Year should bring some new folks to visit and perhaps some of our older members.

My Columbian Wyandotte breed pens are now selected and I have many nice pullets and cockerels to consider another pen.
Here are a few photos...
10 years of hatching hundreds of chicks and selecting only those that meet the Standard of Perfection characteristic and the requirements for a Heritage dual purpose bird have resulted in this year's pens. Following the,sage statement "build the barn and then add the paint" means I still have some work on color.

Nice broad backs, great silhouette, good leg color, a proper comb.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
The pullet pen (with a good cockerel and Grandpa) with Pen 4 in the background. Pen 5 has 2019 Cock and older hens with two pullets. The hen with the lighter neck throws nicely colored chicks from this cock.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

A couple of standby cockerels and a couple of the 2019 pullets.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

I will have a critical eye with the 2020 hatches. Need to maintain the qualities and focus on better wing color.
Below is a photo of a few extra cockerels and some hens from Pen 5

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,016 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Ya...When they changed the site we lost the ability to search threads by contributor, we lost the ability to do keyword thread searches, we lost the ability to see all the photos on a thread, we lost the ability to create a virtual flock for others to see how many of each breed we had in our flock, we lost the ability create signature lines, we lost the ability to create and manage photo albums on our profile, etc., etc., etc., The old forum you could discuss poultry and then when you forgot stuff a year of two later you could go back and find everything to where BYC was more like a library than a Forum. You can still do general searches, but it is pretty lame compared to what it used to be.

For example, if you remember that there was a to die for egg recipe that someone brought to the Okies meet-up two years ago and you remember that NanaKat requested that the one person (who you can't remember) requested for it to be posted on the Okie thread a few days after the meet up you could go to the thread and limit the search to posts by NanaKat and do a keyword search and in less than a minute you would find the recipe. Or if you don't remember who brought the recipe or who requested that it be posted but you remember that an image of a recipe card was posted on the Okie thread you could select to see all images from the Okie thread and you could rapidly scroll through the image icons and you could find the recipe in minutes. Good luck finding anything from two years back now. Your options now are to click through posts one page at a time and time. Wich 6,000 pages even if you are a quick scanner the search time of clicking back through the pages would take forever. I have spent hours trying to find stuff in threads that I used to be able to find in minutes. Yes...the new BYC was very frustration both in the sense that we had to relearn how to do things and in the sense that BYC could no longer be a one-stop location for all you chicken networking and knowledge. It was reduced to another forum that you post stuff and it is there for a short time then lost in cyberspace. There was a large shift from BYC to FaceBook with the change.

I was working through the BYC Chicken University thread when they made the switch. I am sure there were tons of golden nuggets of information in that Forum, but I only got to go through the first two breeds and can't even go back to revisit them now. There also was a Bob Bledsoe forum that I was referred to, some older-timers wisdom type forums, some heritage breeding forums, etc. that I wanted to get to but that I didn't have enough time to complete before the change. So...I felt like our chicken library when up in flames. Lots of the functionality of the forum that attracted people to the forum were eliminated.

Last edited:
POOPS stands for People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap
And Welcome to our OKIE group.

As mentioned a lot of the older members have left or simply lost interest in using BYC. More now use FB or Instagram to communicate.
Life sometimes gets hectic sometimes.

The New Year should bring some new folks to visit and perhaps some of our older members.

My Columbian Wyandotte breed pens are now selected and I have many nice pullets and cockerels to consider another pen.
Here are a few photos...
10 years of hatching hundreds of chicks and selecting only those that meet the Standard of Perfection characteristic and the requirements for a Heritage dual purpose bird have resulted in this year's pens. Following the,sage statement "build the barn and then add the paint" means I still have some work on color.

Nice broad backs, great silhouette, good leg color, a proper comb.
View attachment 1996405 View attachment 1996406
The pullet pen (with a good cockerel and Grandpa) with Pen 4 in the background. Pen 5 has 2019 Cock and older hens with two pullets. The hen with the lighter neck throws nicely colored chicks from this cock.
View attachment 1996407 View attachment 1996792

A couple of standby cockerels and a couple of the 2019 pullets.
View attachment 1996410 View attachment 1996411

I will have a critical eye with the 2020 hatches. Need to maintain the qualities and focus on better wing color.
Below is a photo of a few extra cockerels and some hens from Pen 5

NaNa they are beautiful! You have done a remarkable job with that breed! Outstanding! New Year finds you in good health and ready to tackle another breeding /gardening season! With that substantial size flock you should be able to hatch bunch!Keep up the good work. Be safe in this winters weather.

NaNa they are beautiful! You have done a remarkable job with that breed! Outstanding! New Year finds you in good health and ready to tackle another breeding /gardening season! With that substantial size flock you should be able to hatch bunch!Keep up the good work. Be safe in this winters weather.
So good to see you! :hugs@Okla-doodle-doo
Thank you! It has been a labor of love for the CW and it journey continues.
How have you been? What breeds do you have? We need pictures! Hasn't this winter been irradic!

My neighbor is demolishing his chicken coop today (they haven’t had chickens for years). He has plans for the wood. I’ve already asked to scavenge as I’m rebuilding/expanding the grow out coop. You never know if you don’t ask.

I’ve got 25 Australorps arriving the first week of March. I’ve been toying with the idea of firing up the incubator for a hatch timed with their arrival but I really don’t need to add any more than what I’ve already got coming. We’ll see if I give in.

Well. I’m “introducing myself” again. I tried to login with my old info but was unable to do so.

Anywho. I was wondering if anyone in Oklahoma close to Tulsa had welsummers. I was gonna just order some from a hatchery but thought I’d check here. Anyone have some?

Back
Top Bottom