1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:
    Probably won't do gourds, but I have a list of cukes, squash, and melons that are resistant to squash bugs and that vine. So I will be planting those on the trellis. Actually if I get everything done this winter that I plan I will have several trellis for these varieties. I am going to interplant old fashioned vining petunias w/ them (part of my all our genicidal war w/ the squash bug!!!!) I plan on making them very well aware they p*****d off the wrong red head!!!!!!!! lol

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:
    Probably won't do gourds, but I have a list of cukes, squash, and melons that are resistant to squash bugs and that vine. So I will be planting those on the trellis. Actually if I get everything done this winter that I plan I will have several trellis for these varieties. I am going to interplant old fashioned vining petunias w/ them (part of my all our genicidal war w/ the squash bug!!!!) I plan on making them very well aware they p*****d off the wrong red head!!!!!!!! lol

I have images in my head of chickens jumping up to peck those cukes hanging down in their pens...

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    At least they will be entertained! lol and I'll just chop off the end they peck at if it is a problem and give it to them and keep the rest for me. I'll share I'm not a greedy evil squash bug!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Greybear23

Greybear23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Morrison, Okla.
    Just imagine how big their legs and wings will be after a summer of jumping up there and MMMMM so good in the pan or pot come winter!!!! LOL I hope your cages are tall enough to walk in comforably, I built mine 7 foot tall thinking I could walk in it with comfort but added pallets to walk on around where the rabbit pens were on the sides so wife doesn't have towade mud to feed rabbits and with the sag and pallets I hit my head on the wire all the time I am in there!!!! And I am only 6'3" tall!!!! Lynn [​IMG]

5. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here is the coop I've been working on for this fall for the wyandottes. It's 30 " x 30" with an attached nest box. The nest box has two nests that are 11w x 13d x 19 tall.
    [​IMG]

There are two removable roost bars and a 1/2 inch grid floor. You can see the nest boxes. The boards have gaps so moisture can get out if necessary. One of the rails is a 1.5 x 1.5 and the other is a stair rail. about 3 inches wide.
    [​IMG]

The door is 11 wide by 14 tall and there are two vent windows tht will have covers that either slide or are hinged. You can see the doorway and one of the windows.
    [​IMG]

All it needs now is the slanted roof and theh inges on the nest box lid as well as the covers for the windows and some caulking and paint. Will attach two handles so it can be moved by two people. It will be set on cinder blocks or railroad ties for a roost pile and have a ramp for entering.

This is the pen a neighbor gave us it is 6 x 12 and it's sitting right now inside our dog pen....I have a shade cloth for the top when we set it where it will finally sit.
    [​IMG]

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:that little cockrell may not fit through the door by the time he done filling out.... he is just a little guy right now he has a lot of width and some height to gain as well.

7. Greybear23

Greybear23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Morrison, Okla.
    Nanakat I have not forgotten about the cherry juice, I just have not had the money or gotten down that way at the same time yet, if you don't have any when I get that way I guess it's my loss, but keep me in mind if you put up more juices this year, I have not done any canning this year, just been too busy and no extra money for sugar and such for jellies, I did pick up a preassure canner on freecycle though!!! Things are real tight now and I am going to thin down my flocks and we are going towards a more self sufficient life style around our place, sow only had two babies this go round, told wife I am tired of loosing money on them and need to down size again anyways so we are going to let her get these piggies to weaning age and then have her proccessed and raise out the pigs for later. I think I have about decided to drop my egg customers and cut back my laying flock and just keep some of them and a few games for us eggs and maybe a few extra. Not quite there letting go yet but it may be a neccessity before long. We need more rain! Have a blessed day all!!! Lynn [​IMG]

8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Poco - glad Connor will be okay - too bad he has to fire his playmate for being too big.

Guy - congrats on raising a good son. I know you'll miss him. [​IMG]

I've enjoyed reading about everyone's plans and histories of where to plant okra. I have always thought the plant is pretty and it makes sense to use it as a decorative planting as well as for the okra.

Nanakat - I'm so glad you posted about how you do your asparagus. I have some that was two years this spring and I am glad it was okay for me to leave the fronds over the fall for mulch.

9. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:that little cockrell may not fit through the door by the time he done filling out.... he is just a little guy right now he has a lot of width and some height to gain as well.

Carl, your inbox is full....

10. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    old*cowboy :

Quote:I called the number on the goats and the man said someone playingt a joke on him, he has nothing to give away.

What an awful joke! Oh well, it was worth a try!

Nankat I am going to save your asparagus recommendations. I might try a patch in the sun & one in partial shade. Just to see which one is happier. I was resigning it off the fact they don't like the heat. think I have read before they could tolerate the shade. Will double check.

I will have too keep trying on lemon pepper chicken. Will let everyone know if I manage to find something that is yummy!

Filled all the birds food & water one last time, since I am leaving for the weekend. Left all the birds penned up today so they would be safe until I get home. In the cage found the guineas laid 2 eggs today. Haven't found an egg from them in several weeks. Wonder where they have been hiding them now??? Might leave them locked up so I can try one last hatch. Guess it will depend on the weather, hate keeping them locked up in this heat.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by