***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I was wondering if this would work . I have an idea for an incubator if I put a heating blanketing the bottom of a storage tub, and put a blanket over that and a little bowl of water will it hatch eggs.
I would get it together like your thinking then get a thermometer and humidity monitor that you can put inside and have the read out outside and see if it is maintaining temps and humidity. Using it as a hatcher may get quite messy though. I think that is the basic design concept of most reptile egg incubators (only higher tech) and some people hatch chickens in them.

I would get it together like your thinking then get a thermometer and humidity monitor that you can put inside and have the read out outside and see if it is maintaining temps and humidity.  Using it as a hatcher may get quite messy though.  I think that is the basic design concept of most reptile egg incubators (only higher tech) and some people hatch chickens in them.
thank you for the information. Also do you have any other ideas for homemade inqubators?

Last edited:
I have checked the resource pages, but I was just wondering if anyone around here knows of a good place to get organic feed and other things?

I know I haven't posted. I don't have any experience, so I don't have much input around here.

thank you for the information. Also do you have any other ideas for homemade inqubators?
Most people use a light bulb and fan. I have been doing some research on it. I have a great incubator a brinsea octo 20, but it makes a bad hatcher, so I'm wanting to build an incubator to use as a hatcher.

I am going to use a Styrofoam cooler, but put a plastic ( or something easily cleanable) liner in it, at least to line the bottom that will get the dirtiest.

Everything I have read says it will be best if your fan / light placement is such that the fan blows over the light and onto the thermostat, they report that giving a more stable heat since the light stays warm after the thermostate cycles it off. A ceramic heat bulb is an option too, but then it will be to dark to see your babies hatch. lol

There are lots of ideas out there for sure.

Most people use a light bulb and fan.  I have been doing some research on it.  I have a great incubator a brinsea octo 20, but it makes a bad hatcher, so I'm wanting to build an incubator to use as a hatcher.

I am going to use a Styrofoam cooler, but put a plastic ( or something easily cleanable) liner in it, at least to line the bottom that will get the dirtiest.

Everything I have read says it will be best if your fan / light placement is such that the fan blows over the light and onto the thermostat, they report that giving a more stable heat since the light stays warm after the thermostate cycles it off.  A ceramic heat bulb is an option too, but then it will be to dark to see your babies hatch. lol

There are lots of ideas out there for sure.
thank you a lot I actually am thinking of making an incubator that I found on a site called storm the castle.com . And it shows you how to make one out of a stirofome cooler!

Back
Top Bottom