***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I tried to be organized for a lot of years. It seemed that I only ever got half the things done that I had planned. I am into a routine now, but still have twice as many things that I feel I should be doing that I am not.

Do you have an anti broody box? We hatch from March to June. If hens go broody in that time we put them to work if we have an open isolation pen to fix them up in. If not we break them. The best way to break them is to put them in a wire bottom cage (an anti broody box) for a few days. We used to hatch in the fall so that pullets would be coming into lay in the spring when all the hens were starting their laying season. I hated dealing heat lamps all winter though and we ran into problems of having juveniles in pens we needed for breeding groups in the springtime, so we only do spring hatches now.

We have been working with a breed association for 7-8 years and lot of people know us so on good years we can work out all of our swaps and meetups through the breeders club (albeit 3 hour drives on weekends to meet up with some of the breeders for swaps).

I like craigslist through. We have used it to post birds in the past too.

I'm needing to downsize my current flock & wonder if anyone near me (zip 74937) would be interested. They are juvenile bantams, barred rock crosses, pullets& cockerels. :barnieI've got 2 more hens that went right back broody & are again sitting on their comrades eggs. :th
I would love to help you out. I’m new to this so might need some help. I have 2 cinnamon queens the same age. Only one is laying! I can’t figure out why, but I would love to have some more eggers.

I tried to be organized for a lot of years. It seemed that I only ever got half the things done that I had planned. I am into a routine now, but still have twice as many things that I feel I should be doing that I am not.

Do you have an anti broody box? We hatch from March to June. If hens go broody in that time we put them to work if we have an open isolation pen to fix them up in. If not we break them. The best way to break them is to put them in a wire bottom cage (an anti broody box) for a few days. We used to hatch in the fall so that pullets would be coming into lay in the spring when all the hens were starting their laying season. I hated dealing heat lamps all winter though and we ran into problems of having juveniles in pens we needed for breeding groups in the springtime, so we only do spring hatches now.

We have been working with a breed association for 7-8 years and lot of people know us so on good years we can work out all of our swaps and meetups through the breeders club (albeit 3 hour drives on weekends to meet up with some of the breeders for swaps).

I like craigslist through. We have used it to post birds in the past too.
Certainly wasn't as organized this year as in years past. Hatched 250 Columbian Wyandotte this year. And had several surprise hatches from some bantams that hid in the barn.
Still working on the cockerels for freezer camp and moving the selected breeders to finishing pens for next spring.
Also 45 ducks is way too many!
Not enough hours in the days here on a cattle ranch with a huge garden and the birds!

The cold weather's got my birds all in a tizzy. Granted I've only got 8 hens, I only got 3 eggs today. Lil boogers.

I got my hands on a little Brinsea 7 Egg incubator, the Mini Advance 2. I feel horrible since it's usually not this cold this time of year (at least in my part of OK), so now I'm worried about putting the eggs I have in the incubator outside. SIGH...

How's everyone been doing?

Back
Top Bottom