***OKIES in the BYC III ***

East side of the state hasn't gotten any snow for a few weeks, but my birds hated it when we had it. They wouldn't walk on it or anything 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_155405.jpg
    IMG_20210103_155405.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 2
I didn't realize this thread was still active. I haven't been on for ages. We're south of Haskell and west of Muskogee. I have juveniles (Delawares and White Wyandottes) 788ACCF1-A4EC-4DBF-9FE7-B8719E999714.jpeg that were moved to a coop and run just before the bad weather. They stood in the rain yesterday and gawked. They didn't know what to think of the water in the sky :wee:barnie:yesss::eek:, so I had to usher them back into the coop so they wouldn't get drenched.

How are ya'lls chickens doing with the snow days we've had?
Our main flock of chickens are in a covered run. It’s gets wet still so dealing with moisture and getting the snow off so it doesn’t collapse the structure are snow issues with them. We also have a bachelor pad with electric poultry net, and snow and electric net didn’t mix well; I have to turn it off and hope that predators remember the charge... The roosters didn’t like the snow amd I had to shovel a path to the feeder. They did eat the snow (plus we gave them water), which was fun to watch. Our guinea fowl do not like the snow. After the second snowfall, they did get braver and wander into it more, but they mostly stay in the coop.

I made paths out of straw but after the first snow they didn't seem to care
I have two hens that prefer to lay in an old metal shed we have. The second day with snow on the ground they braved it just long enough to run to the shed, lay an egg, and run back to the areas we cleared😂 I was hoping they would adjust to the second snowfall, but they still refused to have anything to do with it🤷 Our dog enjoyed eating it though😂

How old are your girls? Mine aren't quite a year old yet so maybe they are just young and curious still. They will proly be over it come next years snow
I'm not completely sure what their ages are, they were part of a flock that we rescued🤷 I would assume they are either close to a year, or older because they were laying before we got them. I really hope they do better with the next snowfall, whenever that will be, but time will tell. One thing I didn't understand was, they would stand in water while there was snow on the ground🤔😂 I would think it would be too cold to lounge in water!🤷😄

Not sure I wasn't home for the snow. Headed back soon though.

Different note. I guess it's time to order chicks to replace last fall's coon tradedies.
More Dark Cornish.

Back
Top Bottom