***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I hope you guys are locking down your birds, with the Avian Flu here in Oklahoma- you want no contact with wild birds, not just waterfowl. This needs to be taken seriously-

Covered runs, line run fencing with bird net. Follow bio-security strictly- no sales, auctions, shows etc. This virus kills in 24 hours by the bird hemorrhaging to death. Mortality of flocks are 90%. I don't to ever want to hold a bird hemorrhaging to death again, its horrendous and you wont really forget it. Our birds have no immunity to this virus.

277572844_4909330222507142_6429908672621309452_n.jpg

I hope you guys are locking down your birds, with the Avian Flu here in Oklahoma- you want no contact with wild birds, not just waterfowl. This needs to be taken seriously-

Covered runs, line run fencing with bird net. Follow bio-security strictly- no sales, auctions, shows etc. This virus kills in 24 hours by the bird hemorrhaging to death. Mortality of flocks are 90%. I don't to ever want to hold a bird hemorrhaging to death again, its horrendous and you wont really forget it. Our birds have no immunity to this virus.

View attachment 3045965
Did your flock contract this? I cannot quarantine from wild birds as my five girls roam all over my back yard. It sounds horrible!

Did your flock contract this? I cannot quarantine from wild birds as my five girls roam all over my back yard. It sounds horrible!

Same here. I have a little coop to lock them up at night, but during daylight hours, they roam a half-acre backyard. An enclosed run would use resources and funds that I just don't have available at the moment..

I did take down my bird feeders to hopefully minimize wild bird interaction. Mostly had migrating blackbirds anyway.

Mine have not contracted it. But you can make a containment area during the day possibly with chicken wire? Line it with bird netting, and a shade cloth. Or you try spraying the yard with lysol or oxine. The virus needs extended tome of dry 95 degree temperatures to kill it. According to webinars, given by vets, Consider all feathered birds and rodents to be carriers. We can try to protect them.

Attachments

• OKLA.jpg
    OKLA.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 2
Anyone Raise delawares? I have been looking for some good dual purpose birds and thought I would check with everyone here...Thanks!

Evenin" y"all. Like a bad penny I pop up from time to time.
Robin is 100% correct, access to wild critters of any kind needs to be heavily restricted now, includes human critters as well. Take your extreme bio-security measures most of which are common sense.
If you have incubators take care of them first, birds in brooders second and then adult birds,
Wear one pair of shoes to take care of the chickens and use a 10% bleach solution to sterilize them after every trip to take care of the birds. Did I mention to limit access to wild critters? There is a whole other community that comes out after dark, city or country makes no difference. I have often told folks that they go to bed way too early to realize this,

At one time we had many, many birds running the place and our cost of building coops and enclosures was near nothing. Think outside the box, scrounge for materials. veggies at the local store come in wax coated boxes, ugly but waterproof and will last a long time. Once caught a store that was remodeling, got the shelves for nothing and they were 3/4 plywood 2feet wide and 8 long. Things are getting out of control cost-wise so it's going to be hard to find stuff. once you get into the mindset you will see things as things to repurpose.

The UK probably has the best approach to AI, cover the coops and runs until the all clear is sounded. They react differently to positives as well which I wish they would adopt here too.

I am so ready to fire up the incubators. We have one blue NN hen in with a black Giant cock that looks promising on body type and color. Should get all blue offspring from that pairing with about a 50/50 split on the NN. Haven't loaded the incubators in a long time. Life just got in the way.

I get daily updates on HPAI since Teva and I have kept up our NPIP tester certification so if I hear anything for here in Ok. I will post it.

The keepers of backyard flocks have weathered many diseases the past few years and with common sense we will weather this too, after all it is the second round of HPAI. Educate yourselves with solid facts as there is a lot of incorrect info out there.

Back
Top Bottom