Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I go out to water my birds, afterwards I go into the shed to get some pine shavings cause it's time for another layer in my hen house & while I'm in there I start hearing peep peep peep and I'm thinking I must be going a little more nuts.... it a process. I start looking around and in a 5 gallon bucket laying on it's side I find 6 just hatched but dry chicks and a hen that I thought was gone for good, she pulled a Hoodini on me a while back and just vanished. I was upset about it cause this is one of my really pretty goldenduckwing (Grey) game hens. I picked her up and she is way way skinny, a testiment to just how good a mama these hens are. She musta been on that nest all 3 weeks without any food or water to speak of. As cold as it is and considering her condition I didn't think it was a good idea to let her raise them so I put her back in my grey brood pen and brought the chicks inside to raise them myself, she fussed a little but then she realized that there was food and water available to her and she went to town on it so I think she'll be fine.

39717_dsc06518.jpg

Next week, on the 19th, I'll be making a trip down to Chandler Oklahoma to pick up Gator, our Chocolate Lab pup. On that day he will be 7 weeks old. Starting to get pretty excited about getting this little guy home and getting started on his training. I'm hoping that later this year my name will be drawn for one of the 16 duck blinds that are out at Claremore lake, can't wait to have a well trained retriever.

39717_dsc06507.jpg

Since Maria is working all day and I'm fishing a lot, Gator is going to have to be out on the boat with me from the start cause I can't just leave him at home all day. I fish for crappie and then use the heads to bait my 20 catfish jugs. Last week I brought home 8 pounds of crappie fillets (I fillet them on the boat) and one blue cat that was 35 inches long, after filleting the big blue the slabs weighed more than the crappie! When he gets older, and bigger, I think it's going to be a lot of fun to send him off the boat to retrieve my jugs. Yes, I know he won't have to cause I can get to them just fine with the boat but hey... he's gotta have some fun to! We're gonna have a blast this spring/summer. Anyone wanna go fishin?!?!

39717_dsc06517.jpg

It's SSOOOOO GREAT being middle aged and insane!!

I'm alittle late posting this morning. After not working yesterday I have lots to get done. It was seriously cold this morning so happy I have my new water proof gloves! The horse complained that I was late feeding them, they are use to a 6am feeding!

Donnie glad you didn't have any trouble driving home.

Question for ya'll. I have some OEGB in what are rabbit cages, the kind that are hooked together about 2x2 each. They are totally wire. I have them covered on three sides do you think I should either close in the bottom to keep the draft out?? I feel like with wind chills in the single digits that they might need some extra protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom