*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
No - I had some text messages from MJ regarding the quantity of birds and that there were madagascar hens there, but since I wasn't there physically, I was curious for a report on how things went.

Those Madagascar pullets looked good to me, but I didn't really check them out very closely. The place was packed with people, birds and miscellaneous. It was too busy there so things could slip thru without being noticed.

Morning, had fun at auction last night. Talked to several BYC'ers, met a few I have never met, I waited a long time for some very nice Light Brahma's but in the end I didn't have enough money in my pocket to get them. best ones I've seen. It got pretty quiet when people were bidding on that game bird. I left at midnight but it is only a 3 mile drive home for me.

It sounds like I missed an opportunity to fill my incubator (because I would have been paying attention to when Carla's eggs went through) and fill the van with chickens I have no place to house right now.

Now that I have all the turkeys, guineas, ducks, pheasants I want, I am trying to remind myself to be patient and wait and hatch eggs from my own fowl. I should figure out a way to put all my blue EEs together and the NNs together by color and see what kind of cool chicks I can hatch. I tend to run everything together in large areas so that they are easier to feed and water, but then the eggs are of uncertain parentage. I probably need to help Dean get the pens he is building for the new peacock breeds finished though, before I suggest that I need more pens
hide.gif

At this point, I really am going to auctions more to socialize than to buy - although if anything blue comes through, my interest is piqued.

I would have enjoyed seeing some of the folks who were there last night, who haven't been to an auction I have attended in awhile.

Junk is my weakness and I have found some great things in boxes I have purchased at auction. The secret is to have a plan on what to do with the stuff you don't want - a plan that doesn't involve storing it on your property. I used to take a lot of things to a thrift shop in Luther, where they give things away to the community. It was a great way to satisfy my desire to buy a box of backpacks because they were only $3 each - sort through and keep a few for myself and then give the rest to a good cause.

Quote:
No
hit.gif

For some reason, our eggs were almost the first to go thru and I don't know why but hardly anyone was bidding on them.

Because I wasn't there.
big_smile.png

Seems every time I try to bid on your eggs, everybody in the building wants them!

Quote:
No
hit.gif

For some reason, our eggs were almost the first to go thru and I don't know why but hardly anyone was bidding on them.

Because I wasn't there.
big_smile.png

Seems every time I try to bid on your eggs, everybody in the building wants them!

Buster do you still have the pups?

Carla - I don't like having garage sales, but another thing I do with "extra" stuff from those boxes is donate it to our annual church camp garage sale. I do throw stuff that is not in good shape and which I can't think of anyway to "re-purpose" (like MMPoultry does) into the trash.

Quote:
No
hit.gif

Because I wasn't there.
big_smile.png

THANK YOU!!!! It's probably your enthusiasm that causes everyone to take notice and bid.
thumbsup.gif

I noticed that every time Michael Daugherty goes to the auction table and checks out the birds in a cage, it causes people to bid higher on the birds. I think it wakes buyers up & makes people think it must be good and they must buy!

That reminds me ... Thank you Michael for checking out some of my birds last night and causing people to get excited and buy them!!!!! I may have to pay you a commission!

Same to you, Jim
wink.png

Quote:
Excellent idea! So far, the only thing I've been able to convince Gerald to donate is used clothing, but I have to work on him .... or work him over
smack.gif

Like you were saying about buying chicken related stuff at the flea market, we've been buying unusual chicken items to donate to POOPS too. It's fun!

Quote:
Because I wasn't there.
big_smile.png

THANK YOU!!!! It's probably your enthusiasm that causes everyone to take notice and bid.
thumbsup.gif

I noticed that every time Michael Daugherty goes to the auction table and checks out the birds in a cage, it causes people to bid higher on the birds. I think it wakes buyers up & makes people think it must be good and they must buy!

That reminds me ... Thank you Michael for checking out some of my birds last night and causing people to get excited and buy them!!!!! I may have to pay you a commission!

Same to you, Jim
wink.png

Michael sometimes buys birds on behalf of other folks and sometimes buys them for resale. When he is bidding on a particular bird, he probably has a person in mind who has asked him to look out for something special. As a result, he is willing to pay "retail" sometimes instead of dropping out of the bidding when it is above the "wholesale" price. Sometimes folks don't understand that and get aggravated because he is bidding against them, but we need to remember that other folks ask him to find things for them and he doesn't bid against BYC folks when the price is above "wholesale" just to drive the price up.
old.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom