okra

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tampitt, Aug 6, 2009.

1. tampitt

tampitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Dallas
    Is it ok for the chickens to eat okra and/or okra seeds? I have some that just got too big for us to eat and I was going to toss them in the compost heap, but the chickens get in there to snack.

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Throw em in there and let them decide. I have 3 seperate flocks and some love what the others won't touch. It's an individual preference. Good Luck

3. tampitt

tampitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Dallas
    I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt them to eat it.
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    The only vegetable that I now of that hurts animals is a onion. But everything else is fine. I feed my chickens peaches, spinach, tomato, cabbage, lettuce, and mushrooms when every my mom buys some of it. If she has some and it is getting old and then i can give it to my chickens.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  5. brandirjones

brandirjones Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Gloster, Ms
    Onions wont hurt them. They say it will make your eggs taste funny but mine dont.

6. Farm Ladies

Farm Ladies Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2015
    I was told that potato peels, green tomatoes and their leaves, avocado, all parts of it and Oleanders.. My question is okra, I can't find it anywhere in my books and don't want to take a chance if not good for them.
    Thank You

7. MysteriaSdrassa

MysteriaSdrassa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Central Wisconsin
    My chickens eat okra all the time,, it's the first bush at the end of the garden so when they ocasionally get out it's the first bush they hit,, then the tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini in that order. [​IMG]

8. okiefarm

okiefarm New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    My Grandmother threw everything out to the chickens... potato peels, onion trimmings, corn, tomatoes, everything. Sometimes they would eat it, sometimes they wouldn't. None of them ever died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by